Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical

Hey guys I have a 2004 f150 I have been battling a issue with wiring for about 6 months and no one can seem to find the problem we found out when I put a lightbar on top of my truck. There was initially a few led bulbs out in it 13 to be exact so I sent it off and got a new one and it did the same thing so I tested it out on other cars it works fine.
I have eliminated everything from the way he lightbar is wired up and all that but when doing that I found out if I hook up the light bar straight to the battery (with an extra harness because mine is ran through the cab) that if I unhook the negative cable from the battery killing all power to the truck that it works but if I reconnect it. It goes back to being messed up. So I belive I either have power going to the ground in the factory grounds or I just simply

don't know
Old 02-09-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Could be the way you have it grounded. As an experiment, try running a separate ground to a different location and see what happens. A member named Homer is a lot more knowledgeable with types of situations. Hopefully he or someone else will chime in.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
Could be the way you have it grounded. As an experiment, try running a separate ground to a different location and see what happens. A member named Homer is a lot more knowledgeable with types of situations. Hopefully he or someone else will chime in.
Your from bham sweet lol you prob saw me at world of wheels of you went you just don't know it lol

But no I have grounded it several places just nothing that's why I think it is a bad ground inside the truck somewhere
Old 02-09-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In order to properly diagnose the problem we need more info. Can you describe the harness? Is it a relay harness?
Also tell us exactly where the harness gets its power and ground from. Tell us where the light is grounded as well.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by muddyford911
In order to properly diagnose the problem we need more info. Can you describe the harness? Is it a relay harness?
Also tell us exactly where the harness gets its power and ground from. Tell us where the light is grounded as well.

Alright it is a mouthful
As of right now the lightbar is grounded on factory grounds beside the fuse box it is getting power on the main post on the fuse box.
It has been grounded and got power directly to the battery
Fuse box has been disconnected to see if there was something going on there

The weirdest part is if the ground (the trucks ground) is hooked up to the battery along with the lightbar it malfunctions but as soon as I unhook the truck and hold the lightbar back on battery it works fine

And yes there is an inline fuse and relay built in the harness
Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Post a link to where you bought this lightbar if you don't mind.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by muddyford911
Post a link to where you bought this lightbar if you don't mind.
Unfortunately I have no link

Quick Reply: Electrical