Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Electric fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 08:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electric fan problem

I have a 06 screw with a saleen supercharger and also a electric fan set up. (Forget controller name). But my issue is when I have my climate control set to the defroster side it kicks on like it's suppose to. But when it's on any other vent without AC on it kicks on only random days, cause my truck to over heat if it's a warm day and I'm in stop and go traffic. If I kick it over to defrost it turns on for the whole drive so that keeps me safe with over heating but it is a pain and if anyone else drives my truck I worry it will over heat on them due to no fans kicking on!

Any way to check what is causing this and a fix?? New controller? Maybe a sensor? I'll get the controller name after work today!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:04 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Could be a controller issue, or the temp probe for your radiator is not working.. If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like the controllers AC override switch is working, but your coolant temp sensor or radiator probe is not..

Check the connections and condition of the temp probe.. Yours may be just stuck into the fins of the radiator.. A wet coolant sensor cut inline of the upper radiator hose will be your most reliable solution if this is the case..
Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

For this reason, the temp probes that simply shove into a radiators fins are not a good choice. Consider upgrading to one that has a sensor eyelet that connects underneathe an intake manifold bolt.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
For this reason, the temp probes that simply shove into a radiators fins are not a good choice. Consider upgrading to one that has a sensor eyelet that connects underneathe an intake manifold bolt.
I agree, they are way too hit or miss when it comes down to reliability..
Old 02-05-2015, 05:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to check it out and see what's in it now! And chance the temp sitting fine and then shooting way up and then back down is a probe??

The thermostat has been replaced twice so it has to do with the fans kicking on and off
Old 02-05-2015, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by k7780446
I'll have to check it out and see what's in it now! And chance the temp sitting fine and then shooting way up and then back down is a probe?? The thermostat has been replaced twice so it has to do with the fans kicking on and off
If you are not low on coolant, and this has NOT been happening since the last time you changed the thermostat, then yes, it's likely the fans..

Yes it's probably the probe or controller.. If you can set your watch to the coolant getting too hot with the AC off, then I'd definitely being suspecting the probe in the radiator..

Quick Reply: Electric fan problem