Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

efficient but quiet exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default efficient but quiet exhaust system

I've read several post on exhaust but most are about getting the truck to sound louder and meaner. However, I'm not out to impress anyone or wake the neighbors. I just want an efficient system that is quiet. I also plan to get a programmer for better shifting and towing. My goal is to increase flow and power.
Any recommendations?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a take off from a Harley Edition little louder then a stock that came on my FX4 and looks nicer if you stay with a take off from a 07-08 it will be a direct bolt on no mods... ohh and yes the Harley is more of a glass pack design so I would assume it would help
Old 05-27-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Walker Quiet-Flow SS Muffler. They have 90-Day Risk-Free Trial Offer

Please let me know your feedback if you decided to install this Quiet-Flow Muffler. I can't still decide if I will go for a Straight Flow Muffler with electric motor to adjust the restriction or go for a Quiet-Flow Muffler.

Last edited by w0lvez; 05-27-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyote1
I've read several post on exhaust but most are about getting the truck to sound louder and meaner. However, I'm not out to impress anyone or wake the neighbors. I just want an efficient system that is quiet. I also plan to get a programmer for better shifting and towing. My goal is to increase flow and power.
Any recommendations?
Hi.

Either stay stock ( it is actually quite efficient and preserves yer low-end TQ, and you already know how quiet it is), or replace just the muffler with the largest MangledFlow oval-body muffler - 22-24". You may or may not need to add a small resonator depending upon any drone experienced.

Towing will exacerbate any tendency to drone form an aftermarket repacement - the stocker simply does NOT drone. I HATE drone, lol.

One other thing you can do if you elect to replace the muffler - replace the factory Y-pipe with a 2.5" in / 3" out, going to a 3" midpipe, then to the Maggie or whatever.

Honestly - the programmer will be providing 99% of the tangible gains - there is no real perf benefit to an exhaust swap - and you risk impacting low-end torque if you don't choose wisely. Not something you'd want to do given yer towing goals.

So - stay stock is my humble recommendation. Redirect the money saved towards a good custom-tuned device ( SCT X4 ). MPT, 5Star, VMP, Troyer, PHP, etc....

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 05-27-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: efficient but quiet exhaust system