Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Edge or SCT

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge or SCT

I see a lot of people on here with Edge programmers. I'm kind of looking for an in-dash or one that attaches to my windshield. A friend of mine suggested the SCT Livewire. I'm looking for something that will give me decent power increases, but I also want to gain some fuel mileage. Starting in June, I'll be driving 35 miles one way to work, and around 75 miles one way to college. I'll be driving 70 miles round trip every week day, and 150 miles round trip every weekend to come home and take care of my dad. I don't pull that much. Maybe 5 or 6k every once in a while. I do want some more power while passing on these mountain roads. The passing lanes are small and I've found myself in a sticky situation a few times.

I'm also open to other brands. But I don't want to be dropping $600+ on a tuner. I can, but it's not exactly that high on my priorities right now.

In case this helps. It's a 07 FX4. All mods are in my signature.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Apples to oranges comparison. If you want to really compare the Gryphon or SCT would be a better comparison as they are both custom tuned, the Edge is canned tuned. It's not so much about the device as the person writing the tunes, so pick the device you like (I'd pick the Gryphon because it's cheaper and does exactly what the Livewire can do) and get custom tunes for it. The thing with the Gryphon is that Bill is the only person who can write tunes for it, which is good because he's one of the best, and bad because the wait time can take a few months. An SCT product will give you a little more flexibility of who can tune it (PHP, 5star, VMP, Troyer, etc) but may cost a little more. Any custom tunes will net more power and better shifting, the mpgs is a crap shoot no matter who writes the tunes.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:58 PM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

To not confuse you.... The Edge programmer comes with 3 canned tunes.... Once it is sent in to Power hungry performance they convert it with their software giving it the name Gryphon... If you purchase a Edge CS or CTS you do not have to send it to PHP. They can write you custom tunes.... Or you can buy a Gryphon from PHP ready to go....

I don't have experience with the SCT X3 or livewire but I hear you can reprogram your speedo for wheel size and gear changes.... This I don't know for sure but I heard it....

My edge cs costed 329.... That sct x3 is 500.... Pretty pricey piece of equipment but alot of people have the SCT.....
Old 02-14-2012, 01:32 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

SCT X3 typical price is about 380 to $400. A SCT Livewire will run 510...
Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

EDGE...
Old 02-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by KingRanch4Life
To not confuse you.... The Edge programmer comes with 3 canned tunes.... Once it is sent in to Power hungry performance they convert it with their software giving it the name Gryphon... If you purchase a Edge CS or CTS you do not have to send it to PHP. They can write you custom tunes.... Or you can buy a Gryphon from PHP ready to go....

I don't have experience with the SCT X3 or livewire but I hear you can reprogram your speedo for wheel size and gear changes.... This I don't know for sure but I heard it....

My edge cs costed 329.... That sct x3 is 500.... Pretty pricey piece of equipment but alot of people have the SCT.....
How do you like your Edge CS?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

I have the edge evolution programmer. I love it for what I do with. I found in level 3 my mpg did go up about 1-2 depending on wind and how heavy your foot is. If you are driving into wind for get it. You can program tire size and tweak your programs a little bit with it. I ran 3 on the interstate and 2 or 1 around town. With. Bigger tires I am going to stay in 2 for a while. PM me if you have more questions. For the 07 5.4L the evolution grants more torque than the cs or cts and is about $350 if I remeber.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 PM
"Lifted"

Originally Posted by TommySD
How do you like your Edge CS?
Haven't had a chance to install it yet... I don't really expect to see improvements in mpg... I'm still at 14-15mpg.... I just want it for the extra HP and tow...
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM

I think I'm going to go with the Edge Evolution. I've heard a lot of good about them. I'm not goin to be modding my truck a whole lot. Maybe electric fan and under drive pulley. That's about it after the tuner. I think it will suit my needs good enough! Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 AM
"Lifted"

Originally Posted by TommySD
I think I'm going to go with the Edge Evolution. I've heard a lot of good about them. I'm not goin to be modding my truck a whole lot. Maybe electric fan and under drive pulley. That's about it after the tuner. I think it will suit my needs good enough! Thanks for the advice everyone!
Go to PHP website and order it from there.. That's if you want custom tunes.. It will cut down on the price of ordering your own and paying extra for them to convert and write your tunes...

Quick Reply: Edge or SCT