Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Edge programmer question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge programmer question

My awsome wife got me a Edge for early Fathers Day. I have been watching and reading on these and came across a thread on here stating I would have to get it custom programmed since I have a CAI, and exhaust done. Is this true?

Thanks!

Last edited by COUNTY; 06-15-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you don't have too...but to get the most outta of it, you should
Old 06-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by COUNTY
My awsome wife got me a Edge for early Fathers Day. I have been watching and reading on these and came across a thread on here stating I would have to get it custom programmed since I have a CAI, and exhaust done. Is this true?

Thanks!
Which CAI are you running? Some of them are known for causing more lean issues than others. Especially on the 04 and 05's before Ford altered the Spark/Timing/Ping Mgt. pgm's.

And if you do want the full benefit of your truck (not just the CAI) you should get the custom tunes.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SinCityFX4
Which CAI are you running? Some of them are known for causing more lean issues than others. Especially on the 04 and 05's before Ford altered the Spark/Timing/Ping Mgt. pgm's.

And if you do want the full benefit of your truck (not just the CAI) you should get the custom tunes.
I have the k@n 57 series. What is custom tunes?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 PM

What is custom tunes?

a custom tune is just what it sounds like...it is customized for your truck and how it's setup----air intake, exhaust, supercharger, or whatever your running under the hood. if your motor is bone stock, a custom tune will be better than canned tunes (stock edge settings would be considered a canned tune) it just gets you the most power that you can with the mods you have.... i have an edge that i setup how i wanted it....trans shift points, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the k@n 57 series. What is custom tunes?
Originally Posted by ATOM
a custom tune is just what it sounds like...it is customized for your truck and how it's setup----air intake, exhaust, supercharger, or whatever your running under the hood. if your motor is bone stock, a custom tune will be better than canned tunes (stock edge settings would be considered a canned tune) it just gets you the most power that you can with the mods you have.... i have an edge that i setup how i wanted it....trans shift points, and a bunch of other stuff
^^ATOM is right on...and a good tuner will also make adjustments for your fuel, driving habits, altitude, humidity. etc as well. The generic tunes the OEM ECU comes with are as vague as they can be to work for hundreds of people, environments, and driving styles.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM

I feel stupied for asking all these questions but I really have no idea on this electronic stuff so bare with me. ATOM you said you did the custom yourself or i need to take it to a dealer and let them know what I got so they can program it. This should be the last question on this subject anyway.

Thanks again
Chuck
Old 06-15-2009, 03:35 PM

read thru your edge manual...if you understand it, then make your own customs tunes, however, don't take this the wrong way please....but if you gotta ask about a custom tune, i would not recommend "adjusting your settings" you can add too much fuel, retard the timing too much, make the trans shift erratic. if you still have the edge in the package, just my opinion here, send it back and get a custom tune. PHP or troyer are about 125 bucks more than the edge, however it will yeild you the most ponies....but i understand the whole wife/gift thing, sometimes they feel bad if you wanna return it, you know what i mean..

http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...e_Vehicle.html
Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM

ATOM and SINCITY Thanks for the help! Glad I joined this forum you guys know your chit. What I'll probably do is go down to one of the custom shops here and let them make the adjustments.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i run the edge evo with a dual exhaust and a afe stage 2 intake and the truck runs awesome with the tuner and no custom tunes but sin is correct there are some intakes that will lean out your truck due to its desighn thats why i chose the afe cos of the tube desighn and the maf sensor is pretty much not moved compared to stock so i never had any lean problems!

Quick Reply: Edge programmer question