Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Edge Evolution on the 06

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:26 AM
stirring it up a little

Location: from fenton mi. currently lima ohio for school and work
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edge Evolution on the 06

i put on my edge evolution programmer for my 06 XLT crew cab F-150 5.4 and i am very impressed, shifts alot firmer but not to firm i did the 0-60 test stock went an 8.4 with the trans only program 8.0 and with the with the level 2 it went 7.8, can't wait to install my K&N series 77 tomarrow i want to try the extreme but before i do i need to fill up on premium, yeah i know most buy em for fuel efficency, i haven't noticed anything yet(probably cause i'm playin with the programmer and haven't been out of the throttle yet who needs tires anyway love it so far though highly recommend it to anybody works awesome
Old 07-11-2008, 08:31 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Talk to us in 20 or 30k about your transmission.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Im glad you like the edge. I bought one a week ago and i love it. I use stage 2, i have not used stage 3 yet. My mileage has gune up 1.5 mpg and the truck performs bad ***. I would highl recommend the edge to anyone.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Hobie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Edge tranny problems are rare but I would definately do a update on it just for the heck of it cause those can help some side effects they will cause
Old 07-14-2008, 10:46 PM
stirring it up a little

Location: from fenton mi. currently lima ohio for school and work

i am a student at a university were i am taking classes in high performance motorsports, i have a automatic transmission class comin up so i am buyin a tranny to build for the truck then triple disk convertor, kevlar bands and clutches, plus i am only running the chip for fuel economy at the moment i bought it to turn for shift firmness and bigger tires when i lift it, and i have a buddy at school with an 04 fx4 with the sct programmer and his just blew sky high its not just the programmer pal its how ya drive it
Old 07-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Hobie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank You
Old 07-15-2008, 02:01 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by matt06xlt
i am a student at a university were i am taking classes in high performance motorsports, i have a automatic transmission class comin up so i am buyin a tranny to build for the truck then triple disk convertor, kevlar bands and clutches, plus i am only running the chip for fuel economy at the moment i bought it to turn for shift firmness and bigger tires when i lift it, and i have a buddy at school with an 04 fx4 with the sct programmer and his just blew sky high its not just the programmer pal its how ya drive it
well, you arent going to get the info you should, a typical triple disk from PI is a piece of crap, they arent using the larger carbon clutches anymore, or brazing the stators, or using billet, just stamped steel. The one thing they will most likely NOT cover in your class, is trans line pressure...one of the things Edge and ALL of the other programmers are doing, only one that doesnt is SCT, is increase pressure all the way across the board, they use a consistently high pressure setting too induce a harder shift. Trans-go is notorious for using an EPC valve on the valve body that causes long term failure. The key is to raise pressure ONLY at the point of shift, the Edge tuners rack up failure points and shuddering transmissions because they do not tune for part throttle and full throttle point of shift pressure increases only. The fancy clutches and bands are nice, but properly building a 4R70W is more of a martial art than a science.
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#
Read the first entry, Jerry's OD Transmission thesis. Jerry Wroblewski invented the 4R70W, founded SCT, developed the Marauder, Stage 3 Roush Stang, and has tuned more cars in the past ten years than some people will actually work on in a lifetime. Use his thesis to build your transmission, not the info in your class. The 4R70W is a bit of a unique animal. The 2002-2004 Mustang GT was one of the only 4R's to get the all hardened interals.

As for a convertor, if you insist on a badass one, allocate a used and abused 11.25in from a stang and have it rebuilt by either CircleDspecialties or DirtyDog Performance. I know Alan personally and his work is excellent, he took a PI triple disk convertor and built a 5 disk'r out of it. The internals on the PI unit do not warrant the 1,000$ price tag.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:50 AM

I hate to disagree, but..... Listen to what you learn in class. You go to school to learn lol, and if other people have more information listen to them also. But dont tell the kid not to listento what he learns in class just couse your buddy has worked on more cars in 10 years than other people. Hell i bet that some people have painted thousands more paitings than picasso, but whos is worth more? haha. Experience does not always equal perfection. just my 2cents
Old 07-15-2008, 09:27 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by hick1234
I hate to disagree, but..... Listen to what you learn in class. You go to school to learn lol, and if other people have more information listen to them also. But dont tell the kid not to listento what he learns in class just couse your buddy has worked on more cars in 10 years than other people. Hell i bet that some people have painted thousands more paitings than picasso, but whos is worth more? haha. Experience does not always equal perfection. just my 2cents

Look dude, thats nice, Im quite sure he will gain some decent information but he is also getting a secondary source straight from the primary engineer of the same transmission he wants to build is a very important resource. My "buddy" has more tuning and engineering experience than anyone who works at Edge and was a software engineer at Ford. He knows the tuning parameters because he wrote the software that they drove out of the factory with....I never told the kid NOT to listen to the information he learned in class, but there is information he will NOT be taught in the class.

on a side note, I am a teacher, I instruct college bounds students in an Advanced Placement class in which they are to gain college credit for their class. If you think I told the kid not to listen to what he learns in class, then you didnt completely comprehend what I stated and your disagreement was out of context.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:01 AM

I am not here to argue, for some reason when the edge programmer is mentioned there is always an argument lol. your opinion is ver appreciated my many so just let it be. you do not have defend your opinion, because it has already been stated.

Quick Reply: Edge Evolution on the 06