Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Edge evo screen...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Edge evo screen...?

My edge screen after sitting for a couple hours is almost so light that you can't see what the readings are. It looks like I turned the contrast all the way down. I figured it might be getting to hot and the heat was making the screen do that so while I was driving I pulled programmer out of mount and let it hang in front of the air vent with my air on high and as it cooled the screen came back to life. Has anyone else had this problem with theirs when it's a hot sunny day? Should I contact edge products? It's still under warranty.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Hmm..I actually just noticed that about mine the other day, during the day.. Go to Display, LCD Options, and change your contrast. As soon as I changed it 1 percent, it "came back to life" and showed up like it was supposed to/always has. 35%!! Hasn't done it in a week (I was parked for a few hours in South TX, so you might be right about it getting too hot.. Hasn't been a problem before though.)
Old 09-05-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think pushing the up and down arrows from the "main" screen adjusts this as well?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by RowdyAggie
Hmm..I actually just noticed that about mine the other day, during the day.. Go to Display, LCD Options, and change your contrast. As soon as I changed it 1 percent, it "came back to life" and showed up like it was supposed to/always has. 35%!! Hasn't done it in a week (I was parked for a few hours in South TX, so you might be right about it getting too hot.. Hasn't been a problem before though.)
Yea that worked for me as well but didnt take long to dim back down so that's when I put it in front of my air vent to cool it off. Just don't want to get in the truck one day and have the screen be fried haha
Old 09-05-2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wintyfresh
I think pushing the up and down arrows from the "main" screen adjusts this as well?
I think all that does is brightness. It doesn't adjust contrast.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Mine does the same when its hot, just hit the menu button twice and its fixed for me.....
Old 09-05-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

ROWDY man you got the best avatar pics ever!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:10 PM

What do y'all think about drilling some vent holes in the top of the dash pod to help vent the hot air out of the pod?? May help keep temps down in their
Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by backinblack04
What do y'all think about drilling some vent holes in the top of the dash pod to help vent the hot air out of the pod?? May help keep temps down in their
Hey, it can't hurt. You can keep them out of sight so not a bad idea. Tape some graph paper onto the back of it and get some "clean looking"/"on grid" holes. That's what we do for snowmobile vents in the plastic panels.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Back to the OP questions, though, low-voltage monochrome LCD screens, like in your Edge, are sensitive to heat. They fade when hot, and stop working entirely at sub-freezing temperature, too. With normal use, they won't be damaged by the heat, they just become hard/impossible to read.

Quick Reply: Edge evo screen...?