Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

edge

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default edge

I have a check engine light on and i was thinking of buying the edge scanner to check it out and to justify the price of $399. Is it worth buying one? How are the horsepower gains? I have a 2005 5.4
Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Hobie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got an 04 5.4 w/ the Edge Evolution and absolutly love it. It makes a world of difference in power especially if you set up a custom tune for it.

Some ppl say it will give your transmission problems but I run the hell outta my truck and haven't had any tranny problems w/ it.

I also got a K&N cold air kit and no resonators or mufflers so my 5.4 gets alot more air in and out of it but all in all I definatley think its worth the money.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently run an Edge with an 4.6L and its aight. The SCT Tuner I'ver heard things about, and the one down fall that I've had with my Edge is the rear port for the cord comes off, and the supplied tape that holds the pod on isnt worth much.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

the SCT Xcal3 is a much better flash tuner than the edge.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:43 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

ea it is, plus try finding a tuner that has the software to "custom tune" the Edge.. oh wait.. Only Edge has that software.. SCT has actual tuners all over the US.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Hobie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya actually you can "custom tune" your edge yourself. Everything from WOT fuel%, WOT Shift points, normal shift points, shift firmness, tire size, gear ratio, timing, rev limiter, speed limiter to the idle rpm.

And to do all that you don't have to have one of the "actual tuners all over the US" to do it, you can do it yourself.

Not to rag on you NGM, I am just a firm believer in my edge, it will push the truck over 100 in a flash and I top it out at 128 mph plus when I am easy on the throttle I can get a good 19 mpg out of it.

anyways, let me know what all your SCT tuner can do, cause I know alot of ppl are using them and would like to know more bout them other than they seem really "special".
Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 PM
none.

Originally Posted by HJDF150
ya actually you can "custom tune" your edge yourself. Everything from WOT fuel%, WOT Shift points, normal shift points, shift firmness, tire size, gear ratio, timing, rev limiter, speed limiter to the idle rpm.

And to do all that you don't have to have one of the "actual tuners all over the US" to do it, you can do it yourself.

Not to rag on you NGM, I am just a firm believer in my edge, it will push the truck over 100 in a flash and I top it out at 128 mph plus when I am easy on the throttle I can get a good 19 mpg out of it.

anyways, let me know what all your SCT tuner can do, cause I know alot of ppl are using them and would like to know more bout them other than they seem really "special".

well, SCT has a more comprehensive tuning database....like the founder worked for Ford as a powertrain engineer, designed quite a few high performance production vehicles, did some advanced engineering work for roush, did his own independent tuning for many years, etc. SCT has the knowledge database and the experienced tuners, as the guy(s) who founded the company trained the current dealers, as there multiple levels of tuners, from canned mail order guys to active tuners who write files from scratch. Those files go way beyond what you can "custom" tune with that edge thing. Its more than just WOT tweaking, they spend more time writing the transmission related files than anyone at Edge does in writing a complete file. I have read of more than one issue of transmission shudder with higher "level" Edge tunes, that is simply unacceptable and shows how little they actually do. I could have told them how to write a trans pressure and TC lockup file better than what they give you. So, if you want your flash tuner to look cool and give you a big garish bumper sticker, get an Edge or a Hypertech, if you want experienced work done by guys who actually designed the production components on your Ford, get an SCT tune.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you a tuner...I'm not...I would rather leave the tuning on my truck to someone that knows what their doing. BTW, most of these points are adjustable with all the popular tuning devices.

anyways, let me know what all your SCT tuner can do, cause I know alot of ppl are using them and would like to know more bout them other than they seem really "special.".
I've had an Edge and a Hypertech before getting the Xcal 3 with Troyer tunes. Since getting on Mikes dyno there's no comparison. I think that's gotta be the most important thing about a custom tune. When I ordered my Xcal from Mike he sent me the tuner in the mail with my tunes (mail order, no dyno) those tunes we ok but I wasn't 100% happy with the way it shifted. After getting on his dyno he got my tunes perfect
Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Your Not "custom Tuning" the truck. Your making VERY MINOR changes to the files that are already written in the tuner. A custom tuner has files that you don't have to change, unless you want to reset an RPM, Speed, Shift points or something like that. A tru custom tune is dyno tuned for peak performance. My tuner will spend alot of time to get a customers car right. If he is not happy with it I have seen him clear everything and start all over. My truck had a "hiccup" at 4 k WOT. I was talking to him about it. He wants me to bring the truck back in so he can do a full Data log and watch to see if the "hiccup" happens again. Edge won't do that for you. Hell your lucky to talk to them.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:00 AM
none.

to add to that...WOT changes are NOT custom tuning, if you cant tweak transmission files and fuel/air and spark files for part throttle also, you arent changing much.

Quick Reply: edge