Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

e fan from Nissan Quest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default e fan from Nissan Quest?

Hi all. I found an e fan from a Nissan Quest at a garage sale today. Two fans (one 4 blade and one 5 blade). Would it work on my 04 F150 5.4? If so- a few questions:

1-How would I adapt the mounting? Obviously it's critical that it be secure.
2-from an electronics standpoint, what would I need?
3-would I just need to get the Nissan connectors to wire into?
Old 09-20-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That'll be a pretty tough project to tackle, but not impossible. I doubt its ever been done before, so you may have to come up with something on your own.

As far as wiring goes, its an electric motor, so if you hook it up backwards you won't burn it up. It will however spin backwards, so make sure its pulling/pushing air in the right direction.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, to answer #2 you will need a fan controller capable of controlling two fans. You'll need wire to go from the fan controller to the fan. Probably 10-12 guage depending on the distance its run. Also a temp probe of some sort. Try looking for a dual e-fan wiring kit. That should be the easiest way to go. I have a madfan kit from Madenterprises.com. I don't know if they're still around or not. I heard the guy running it passed away. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2014, 06:57 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

In addition to air flow in the right direction, you have to get the blade orientation correct. The blades should cup the air, not deflect the air. If you look at the shape of the blades it'll make more sense. The blade has a designed leading and trailing edge. If you run it backwards the efficiency drops WAY down. Years ago I had the local Deere shop send out a man to change a water pump on a big tractor (8640) that I really didn't want to work on. The following spring I noticed the machine would run hotter than normal under any kind of load. The genius mechanic put the fan on backwards. It was still pulling air through the radiator, but at only about half the rate it should. About one hour and three scraped knuckles later I had a cool running tractor again.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not look. Do electric fans normally go on the front side? I am thinking that that's the way these were cupped. If so, I don't think I could get them brace for the good. If not, do you just take the fan shroud out? Probably not going to try to force this one. Sounds like it would be better to just buy fans that will fit better.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Doesn't the Quest come with a 4 or 6 cylinder? The Motorcraft Efans move 2500 CFM EACH for a total of 5000 CFM.
Do you know how much air the fans you have will move? When sitting on the side of the road cause you overheated is not the time you want to be answering this question

Quick Reply: e fan from Nissan Quest?