Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Dye Grey Interior To Black

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 PM
High School Hill Climber

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Dye Grey Interior To Black

I am wanting to dye my interior with rit dye black. I have heard it is simple but i dont know if it is or if it will even work. has anyone tried this? and if it does work i think the rubbery armrests will be an issue. any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Why dont you just get new seat covers? (not the ones from walwart) but ones made for your truck?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunsetter
I am wanting to dye my interior with rit dye black. I have heard it is simple but i dont know if it is or if it will even work. has anyone tried this? and if it does work i think the rubbery armrests will be an issue. any input would be appreciated.

I am wondering the same thing. I have a grey interior and would like to go with black. I am searching to see if it Is doable before I attempt it.
I like the style of my factory seats so why buy a new factory set for $500+ when it may be done if a box of dye and an afternoon.
Has anyone tried this with success?
Thanks guys.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Sub'd
Old 05-04-2014, 10:01 PM

Ok. So I did some searching and came across a few products that will change the colour of fabric. I decided to use Dupli-Color vinyl and Fabric spray. It will probably take 6 - 7 cans to do all my seats, headrests and centre console but I figured I'd get 1 can and test it out by doing 1 headrest. It actually turned out perfect. The fabric took the dye extremely well and stayed soft to the touch, which was my biggest concern. Now that it turned out the way I was hoping I will be doing the whole interior ASAP. I will be removing all the seats for this project. The product comes outta the can like spray paint and will ruin anything it oversprays onto. Plus the fumes are unreal for about 24 hours. I will update throughout the process.
Attached Thumbnails Dye Grey Interior To Black-image-2267353786.jpg   Dye Grey Interior To Black-image-292184978.jpg  

Last edited by Danasdaddy; 05-04-2014 at 10:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SLAYER-F150 (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sub'd.
Been thinking about doing the same. Are you going to do the headliner as well? Mine needs some help.
I'm concerned about the fumes too. I would imagine it will take a week or two for it to be gone after you do all the seats.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Captain Stringer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Danasdaddy
Ok. So I did some searching and came across a few products that will change the colour of fabric. I decided to use Dupli-Color vinyl and Fabric spray. It will probably take 6 - 7 cans to do all my seats, headrests and centre console but I figured I'd get 1 can and test it out by doing 1 headrest. It actually turned out perfect. The fabric took the dye extremely well and stayed soft to the touch, which was my biggest concern. Now that it turned out the way I was hoping I will be doing the whole interior ASAP. I will be removing all the seats for this project. The product comes outta the can like spray paint and will ruin anything it oversprays onto. Plus the fumes are unreal for about 24 hours. I will update throughout the process.
My only concern would be if you get something wet, would the paint come off?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by stringer
My only concern would be if you get something wet, would the paint come off?
That is a valid concern. It was a concern of mine too. I've read hundreds of reviews and no one made that complaint.
BUT I wanna be sure for myself. I'm giving the head rest 48 hours to cure and I'm going scrub it with a damp rag to see if it bleeds.
I will post the results in a couple days.
The following 2 users liked this post by Danasdaddy:
SLAYER-F150 (05-05-2014), stringer (05-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 12:11 AM

A bit of info on this product.
Applicator Type: Spray
Clear Top Coat Recommended: No
Color: Varies
Compatible Surfaces: Vinyl; Fabric; Plastic
Container/Package Size: 11 oz
Container/Package Type: AEROSOL CAN
Contains Rust Inhibitors: No
Drying Time To Touch: Dry To Touch In 30 Minutes / Handle In 1 Hour
Drying Time-Cured/Complete: Dry To Touch In 30 Minutes / Handle In 1 Hour
Interior/Exterior: Interior
Primary Use: Vinyl and Fabric
Sheen Level: Gloss
Sound Deadening: No
Splatter Finish: No
Spray Nozzle Type: Fan/Oval Spray Pattern
Textured Finish: No

The nice this about Duplicolour Vinyl and Fabric spray is that it can be used on plastic. I was gong to change the colour of the grey plastic to black anyways so now I don't have to do this as 2 separate projects. I will paint the plastic and the fabric in one shot. Seems to good to be true so I hope this pans out for me.
Attached Thumbnails Dye Grey Interior To Black-image-1786923548.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 AM

Alrighty. So a bit if an update. So I sprayed only 5 hours ago and figured I test it. Scrubbed it with a wet white cloth. I mean I really scrubbed the hell outta it and it didn't bleed out one bit. I am amazed beyond belief with this product.
Considering I was literally seconds away from buying a $500 set of seat covers online and decided to try this. I could not be happier.
The following users liked this post:
stringer (05-05-2014)

Quick Reply: Dye Grey Interior To Black