Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Dvd Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dvd Wiring

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knows how to wire an overhead DVD player. I just got an oem DVD player and I'm not sure how to hook it up and I'm not that good at wiring I was just seeing if anyone has went and hooked one up before. Also I was wondering about using it with the truck off. The girlfriend wants to watch DVDs in the back but I don't want to do that if I'm risking the truck not starting when the movies over. Thanks plowman.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Is this the Ford DVD player that connects to the factory overhead rail system?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is the overhead DVD player.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed an aftermarket flip down monitor yesterday I'm not sure about the factory DVD monitor but I wired mine into where the dome light was... black wire in the dome light is ground, the wire with the blue stripe is for the door trigger(12v when the doors are open) and the wire with the green stripe is 12v hot all the time.

My monitor had 4 wires... ground, door trigger, 12v constant, and 12v ignition. I also wanted to use the monitor when the truck was off so i just tied both the 12v constant and the ignition wire to the wire with the green stripe in the dome light, then wired the ground to ground and door trigger to door trigger. Oh yea... a full movie with the truck off will probably drain ur battery... I wired mine like that so my kid can keep his entertainment while the truck is off for short periods (getting gas, stopping at sonic, etc.)
Hope this helps

Last edited by J. Clementi; 08-29-2012 at 09:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
atxval (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

subscribed
Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got new AV cables coming from amazon sometime in the next week or so... I'm gonna have to drop the monitor again when they come in. Ill snap a couple pics of the wiring when the monitors out if I remember
Old 08-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

The factory overhead DVD rail player has a harness that plugs directly into the factory radio, provided you have the correct factory radio...

Ford made radios with one, two, and three plug receivers in the back of their radios. The largest one was for the standard power, speaker, and steering wheel controls. A second plug was used for the audiophile (amplifier kit that is located under the back seat for extend cab type models). The third plug was for this DVD overhead system you are describing.
If you have a Ford factory radio, chances are you don't have this third plug if your truck did not come with the overhead console option.

these stock radios come on sale all the time either here on the classifieds section (be sure to ask for a back picture of the radio to confirm), or on Ebay.
If you don't have a stock Ford radio, but still want to wire this DVD player to your aftermarket system, I'd suggest you sell the Ford overhead DVD, and buy an aftermarket double din radio/DVD in dash player. Much easier to do.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
If you have a Ford factory radio, chances are you don't have this third plug if your truck did not come with the overhead console option.

These stock radios come on sale all the time either here on the classifieds section (be sure to ask for a back picture of the radio to confirm), or on Ebay.

If you don't have a stock Ford radio, but still want to wire this DVD player to your aftermarket system, I'd suggest you sell the Ford overhead DVD, and buy an aftermarket double din radio/DVD in dash player. Much easier to do.
FYI I have a Ford HU collecting dust, I do not have steering wheel control but do have the rack system. Not sure if it will work but I can send you a pic and you can make me an offer.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the double din in-dash would not really work for the kiddos in the back seat, especially if it does not have a digital output.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

I'm not interested in your factory radio; I was mearly offering help to the OP.

And you'll need to post this in the classifieds for others to buy, not here. This is a technical forum.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:45 PM

Deleted to conform to forum rules.

Last edited by atxval; 08-30-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Dvd Wiring