Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Drop in filter recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop in filter recommendations?

What type of drop in filter would you guys recommend? Mine is pretty dirty and was wanting to know what everyone is using. I was thinking about getting a K&N drop in but I have read some stuff on the MAF sensor becoming clogged because of the oil in the filters.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by edub32
What type of drop in filter would you guys recommend? Mine is pretty dirty and was wanting to know what everyone is using. I was thinking about getting a K&N drop in but I have read some stuff on the MAF sensor becoming clogged because of the oil in the filters.
please share what you found. I haven't heard this, think it depends on how you oil them, i.e. over soaking the back side maybe? thx.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard about the K&N filters clogging the MAF but in my experience that ONLY happens when someone over oils them. I've put one in almost every car I've owned and never had a problem with them. I've had a couple friends that heard oil them so they put the filter back in dripping and wondered why the car wouldn't run right... so read the directions would be my advice but I like the K&N filters.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by XLT Billy
I've heard about the K&N filters clogging the MAF but in my experience that ONLY happens when someone over oils them. I've put one in almost every car I've owned and never had a problem with them. I've had a couple friends that heard oil them so they put the filter back in dripping and wondered why the car wouldn't run right... so read the directions would be my advice but I like the K&N filters.
X2 i have a drop in in my F-150, have a full kit in my ranger and had a drop in in my old ranger. never had any issues with them whatsoever.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by XLT Billy
x3

K&Ns in my last 4 trucks and no issues.

Last edited by GATORB8; 01-26-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Late
Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Lucky Number 7

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

They are now saying to only oil the side away from the MAF sensor on the directions. I have used them for years with no problems but always did spayed the side away from the MAF only... weird...
Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

i figured that was the issue... dad only oils the outside on his for the black panzer (black 96 powerstroke w/ straightpipe).

Quick Reply: Drop in filter recommendations?