Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Drivetrain and 4x4 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain and 4x4 Issues

Hi, I have a 2004 F150 Heritage. Without looking at it, it's got around 130k miles. I'm having a few problems and syptoms, possibly related.

1. The 4x4 does not engage. It is a shift on the floor. The dash light comes on. I do hear a slight click sound in the dash as I shift (possibly just above the glove box).

2. I hear a clunk sound as the auto transmission is shifting into a higher gear. Doesn't happen all the time but will especially occur if I lay into the accelerator.

3. I'm hearing more road noise from the front tires, as if I just put on new off road tires. Also, I was driving up into the hills and as I was taking turns on the somewhat winding mountain road, it seemed as though I could hear more front end noise at each turn.

4. As I come to a slow rolling stop it seems more noisy and less smooth.

All these things are fairly difficult to describe so I apologize.

I've had the oil changed and the shop has checked other fluid levels reporting everything looked fine, with no shavings, etc.

I can do some minor repairs but don't have a ton of tools or experience working on cars. But I'm not an idiot. Perhaps lazy on occasion

Thanks
Old 11-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Since it's the heritage, you're going to get better responses from the 97-03 section.

Have you checked to see if you vacuum hubs are working, both engaging and disengaging? You're going to have to get under there and spin the tires and front driveshaft in 2 and 4wd to see where the problem is.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't lifted it and spun the tires yet.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the year/heritage thing.

When I got my tonneau cover I believe they said they had to get one for an '03 for it to fit my truck.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Drivetrain and 4x4 Issues