Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Drivers window won't roll down

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Drivers window won't roll down

And the fun keeps on coming...

Ok, for awhile the window has been making a strange noise when rolling up, with a wrrRRRwwrrrRRRRRwwrrrRRRRrrr as if it was warped and catching on something. Now after a hot day today it has just stopped working.

Is it possible that I just need to lube the tracks and is that even possible? Dry graphite or something? Where can I get some of that?

Now if I have to take the door apart, does anyone have any diagrams to do that? My Haynes doesn't appear to have that section...

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-28-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is most likely the window regulator. I have changed both drivers and passenger side on mine. Just remove door panel, remove bolts holding old regulator and replace with new one. Can find them on eBay for like 50 bucks. Let me know if you have any questions but it is a strait forward fix.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I have been on Rockauto trying to order the right part...so do you thnk I need the window regulator and motor assembly?

http://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecatalog.php?ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=47dogvtu74nmio11mhdu24tk36
Old 09-06-2014, 07:39 PM

Ok, turns out I was right on the part, and I swapped out the thing today.

Couple of things...this was clearly to first time this had been done in my truck. Much of the vapor barrier was coming off, so I used some black RTV to close it up again...

All of the bolt heads were metric, 6,8 and 10mm, except for the *speaker* bolts which were 7/32", which is *nuts*. Fortunately, I had a tiny SAE socket kit, or I would have been screwed. The original nuts holding in the glass required a T30 star driver, or the 8mm socket...I had to use the long handled T30, because of where the sliders stopped. It was a PIA, as the nuts were damn near frozen. I finally cracked them using both hands; I could have used some penetrating oil, but I didn't want to spray it all over the lower glass.

Get some help putting the door cover back on, it is a pain getting wires out of the way and lining up the slots with the hangers on the inside of the door card.

I hope this Dorman replacement will last a little while...saved some good coin today on this job, I think.

You tube vid on passenger side window regulator repair was invaluable.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

I just had my drivers side window fail AGAIN
Motors making a sound & window failing, will not go up all the way
I just replaced the track/motor assembly about 3 years ago
Seems I have to do it again
And of course it has to fail in cold weather

Quick Reply: Drivers window won't roll down