Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

driver side cylinders not running right

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver side cylinders not running right

HI guys,

I'm new to this website and got a couple questions. I know this site holds a lot of knowledgeable people and mechanics. I myself have got to learn a lot about my truck but I am stumped, so here's my issue.

after I left work I went and got gas and after about a 1/4 mile of driving I felt something wrong "any ford guy who knows their truck can relate." It wasn't getting power it was obvious it couldn't be running on all cylinders. So I got it home which wasn't far maybe a mile or less I pulled out the scanner and it read me these codes p0022- camshaft over retard position sensor.
p0171- system to lean Bank 1
p0300-misfire
p0306- cylinder 6 misfire
p0307- 7 misfire
p0308- 8 misfire
2198- o2 sensor biased bank 2 sensor 1 ( did replace No luck)
p0305- 5 misfire

I have a 04 f150 with the 5.4 triton, newer model with 290k on it. it ran great the whole week prior, did change oil not long ago and plugs.
My truck always had a habit of having a ticking "cam phaser or vct solenoid" was like that since I bought it and got use to it. Lucas oil helped it but after a while it still did it but that was no problem. Anyways after checking all the code and changing the one 02 sensor it ran the same so I left it. Me being determined to find the problem I began to study everything under the hood. I found out my oil has a smell of gas, which I determine to because my driver side is over flooding with gas, even when started it smelled heavy of unburned gas and the oil on the dipstick was slightly higher and was a lot more lighter "viscosity"

I'm really not sure Im still getting the codes for the misfires, I believe there is way to much fuel being dumped in and could be finding it way inside to my oil. If my rings were shot I doubt they would all go at the same time? I was going to pull that VCT solenoid and change it although I don't want to be changing every part because I am aware there are many things that could cause it, although there may be something I'm missing and one of the hundreds of great mechanics on it can help pin point it. Theres not much else that I am leaving out, but please someone help me.

My Ford is my baby its been through everything with me and has always been there for me, Honest to God its my baby I love it lol I know there are many of you guys who feel the same about their truck. Even my gf is jealous about it bc she knows I'm upset and depressed about my truck!
Anyways any help would be appreciated. I will post pics asap

Sincerely
Nathan
Old 09-09-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

I did the phaser and timing kit swap a couple weeks ago and had the p0012 error, I pulled out the VCT solenoids and cleaned them with throttle body cleaner, rechecked the screens on the solenoids, dipped them in oil and reinstalled them in the opposite banks to see if the code followed. Cleared any residual codes with my code reader and drove it. So far have put on over 500 miles and no codes. This may help with the p0022 code, as far as the fuel smell, hopefully someone will chime in on that one, gotta be careful so it doesn't destroy your cats with that one. Good luck.
Tom
The following users liked this post:
unknown wiz (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the reply and yes tomorrow Ill check the solenoid, heard it was a tricky job, lets hope nothing falling into the opening. sucks because there are so many variables for each one of the codes but thanks again man tomorrow ill clean it up!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:51 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

I think vintageman is on the right track. Unfortnately, it sounds like more is at fault than just the VCT'S. Since the phasers have been ticking for a while, there's a good chance that they, or at least one of them, finally kicked the bucket. That will cause your timing to go crazy, and not allow a complete combustion.
I think you're right about the rings. Gas will get past even the best rings if it's not being burnt off. Plus the probability of all four going bad at the same time is extremely small.
Replacing the timing system would more than likely fix her up. However, with 290k, and the low oil pressure that's associated with the phasers going bad, it may be worth it in the long run to replace the motor if you plan on keeping the truck. At this point, there's no telling what, if any, other damage has been done. The phaser noise can hide other warning signs.
unknown wiz (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 10:55 AM

Default VCT Swap

Originally Posted by unknown wiz
Thanks for the reply and yes tomorrow Ill check the solenoid, heard it was a tricky job, lets hope nothing falling into the opening. sucks because there are so many variables for each one of the codes but thanks again man tomorrow ill clean it up!
Swapping the solenoids out is pretty easy, use a T27 torx screwdriver (1 piece type so you don't drop anything in the engine). I bought one from autozone and had to modify the part of the handle closest to the blade because it was alittle wider in diameter and kept hitting the solenoid, hacksaw blade and about 2 minutes for this mod and it worked perfect. The only thing that was a pita was moving the power steering bracket out of the way and removing the VCT seals. The good thing is if you move the solenoids and the code follows, the passenger side will be alot easier to change because nothing is in the way.
Good luck
Tom
unknown wiz (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 12:06 PM

thanks guy! I will be looking into replacing the motor soon enough, it wont be hard to find a scrap truck around here. Would be cheaper to buy a whole truck then having to buy just the engine off someone. Thanks again!
Nathan
Old 09-12-2014, 06:25 PM

So I've decided to replace the parts on the one side depending on what broke on her. Im guessing like you said the timing chain, I will find out this weekend when I take it apart in the shop. However I will be finding a replacement motor and redoing it to give it a bit more horsepower and will be throwing some headers on it...
Old 09-13-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by unknown wiz
So I've decided to replace the parts on the one side depending on what broke on her. Im guessing like you said the timing chain, I will find out this weekend when I take it apart in the shop. However I will be finding a replacement motor and redoing it to give it a bit more horsepower and will be throwing some headers on it...
Hey wiz..

Start with the spark plugs.. Gas in the oil means the fuel is not being burnt, it is a sign of an ignition problem.. It could still be timing related, but do the spark plugs first.. Sp515 are the part #.. Don't forget to anti seize those plugs!!
Order a batch of fresh cops too, at your milage I wouldn't leave anything to chance..

The VCT solenoids were updated and they do help with oil pressure. Get a pair of those as well..

Switch to 5w-30 oil and leave the Lucas oil stabilizer out of the motor.. This will help with ticking and and wear..

Clean your MAF, and throttle body thoroughly..

If this gets you purring again then just be prepared to change the driver side cat eventually.. All your misfires are favoring that side.. Raw gas kills cats..
Old 09-13-2014, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Especial86
Hey wiz..

Start with the spark plugs.. Gas in the oil means the fuel is not being burnt, it is a sign of an ignition problem.. It could still be timing related, but do the spark plugs first.. Sp515 are the part #.. Don't forget to anti seize those plugs!!
Order a batch of fresh cops too, at your milage I wouldn't leave anything to chance..

The VCT solenoids were updated and they do help with oil pressure. Get a pair of those as well..

Switch to 5w-30 oil and leave the Lucas oil stabilizer out of the motor.. This will help with ticking and and wear..

Clean your MAF, and throttle body thoroughly..

If this gets you purring again then just be prepared to change the driver side cat eventually.. All your misfires are favoring that side.. Raw gas kills cats..
Agreed, sometimes we jump at the hardest things and find out it was the easy (and cheaper) stuff. Keep us informed on what you find. Good Luck
Tom
Old 09-13-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman

Agreed, sometimes we jump at the hardest things and find out it was the easy (and cheaper) stuff.
What?!? I never do that. Just don't tell my wife I said that!
I once replaced a starter in a vw jetta (not an easy task), only to discover that the car wouldn't start simply because the seat belt wasn't attached.

Quick Reply: driver side cylinders not running right