Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

driveability issues/Fuel pump driver module

Old 04-24-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default driveability issues/Fuel pump driver module

Had a buddies truck towed into the shop a few weeks back for some driveability issues. truck wouldnt start. got to the shop started fine and I drove it for a few days.I had no issues. I hooked my WDS up to it and found it had p0171 and p0174 Lean both banks it also had a code for Fuel pump secondary control circuit. Started chasing wires and found the fuel pump driver module heavily coroded. The plastic top was busted and the aluminum housing was cracked in half. After calling the dealer for parts found out how serious a issue this is as there is 1500 or so of the old part number on back order and 800 and counting of the revised part number on national back order as well. I though I better look at my truck and mine is as bad as his but I have no issues showing up at this time (but they are coming) I was lucky enough to procure 2 modules 1 for each of us. We had another customer come in with a 04 as well so for curiosities sake i looked and his is in bad shape too. We could not get one for the customers truck so it is one that is on emergency back order. When I was at the dealer getting parts the other day I was talking to the service manager and he said we should call ford corporate and make a complaint. If they are having a recall on 15 year old windstar rear axles for vans that have more than likely used up the majority of their lifespan or passed it they should issue a recall on the FPDM's on our trucks as well. I did call ford and voice a complaint on my truck and recomended my buddy and our customer to do the same. If the driver module goes out and you can not get one, your rig will be sitting dead till you can buy one. Alot of the dealers around here will not even sell them as they are holding on to them for when there customers truck takes a dump. The service manager told me that they could not get parts for the windstar a customer brought in so they put them in a rental car. When they finally got the customers van recall completed and got them back in it, the rental car charge was $6,000 plus the recall parts and labor. that is crazy on a 15 year old van. Please call Ford Coporate Customer Service and voice your concern with our trucks Fuel Pump Driver Module. The number is 1-800-392-3673. You will need your trucks VIN number and if you have already replaced the FPDM keep your reciept as if they do issue a recall you can be reimbursed if you can prove it has been changed already. The two I have done turned to dust as soon as they are disturbed.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 PM

Old 04-24-2011, 09:35 PM

sorry about the fuzzy pics they were taken with my blackberry and didn't turn out the greatest. My buddies truck has 85K on it it is a 04, stored in a garage nightly but lives on a dirt road. The pics are of his module. My truck is also a 04 with 75K and has lived in a barn everynight of it's life except for the last year and mine is worse than his. The other customers was a 04 as well and had 125K on it but do not no specifics about it more than that.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Good post...
Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sitting is disgust

06 F150 did a no start, rather than fuss with it, had it towed to the dealer. The call I didn't want came today. $1500.00 to replace both the FPDM and the fuel pump.
While the price sounds outrageous alone, all that I read here about the FPDM being susceptable to corrosion due to (1) poor overall design on FMC's part. Locating the part in an area that is prone to exposure in certain climates to corrosion causing materials (salt). (2) fastening an aluminum housing on a steel cross member with (a) little to no isolation from the effects of dissimilar metal corrosion and (b) fastening it on a uneven surface, causing undo torque on the aluminum housing. Resulting in either a cracked housing or a housing with a hole in it. Either case, causing a failure.
Not happy yet with the replacement of FPDM, but if anyone knows, does the failure of the FPDM also take out the fuel pump? That is what I suspect is the costly item in the total repair cost. Am I being suspicious about the dealer taking the easy road and assuming if one is gone the other must be too? Or do I insist that one be replaced and then the pump be checked? Can they check the FP with out the FPDM working. Just looking for some arguments to use when I do battle with the service manager tomorrow. Help me please
Old 02-13-2012, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you use Carquest oil. Call the store and ask for a Dorman part number 590-001. They just recently became available through Dorman.

Originally Posted by 06H0040
Had a buddies truck towed into the shop a few weeks back for some driveability issues. truck wouldnt start. got to the shop started fine and I drove it for a few days.I had no issues. I hooked my WDS up to it and found it had p0171 and p0174 Lean both banks it also had a code for Fuel pump secondary control circuit. Started chasing wires and found the fuel pump driver module heavily coroded. The plastic top was busted and the aluminum housing was cracked in half. After calling the dealer for parts found out how serious a issue this is as there is 1500 or so of the old part number on back order and 800 and counting of the revised part number on national back order as well. I though I better look at my truck and mine is as bad as his but I have no issues showing up at this time (but they are coming) I was lucky enough to procure 2 modules 1 for each of us. We had another customer come in with a 04 as well so for curiosities sake i looked and his is in bad shape too. We could not get one for the customers truck so it is one that is on emergency back order. When I was at the dealer getting parts the other day I was talking to the service manager and he said we should call ford corporate and make a complaint. If they are having a recall on 15 year old windstar rear axles for vans that have more than likely used up the majority of their lifespan or passed it they should issue a recall on the FPDM's on our trucks as well. I did call ford and voice a complaint on my truck and recomended my buddy and our customer to do the same. If the driver module goes out and you can not get one, your rig will be sitting dead till you can buy one. Alot of the dealers around here will not even sell them as they are holding on to them for when there customers truck takes a dump. The service manager told me that they could not get parts for the windstar a customer brought in so they put them in a rental car. When they finally got the customers van recall completed and got them back in it, the rental car charge was $6,000 plus the recall parts and labor. that is crazy on a 15 year old van. Please call Ford Coporate Customer Service and voice your concern with our trucks Fuel Pump Driver Module. The number is 1-800-392-3673. You will need your trucks VIN number and if you have already replaced the FPDM keep your reciept as if they do issue a recall you can be reimbursed if you can prove it has been changed already. The two I have done turned to dust as soon as they are disturbed.

Last edited by JamminJimi; 02-14-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: driveability issues/Fuel pump driver module