Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Drive shaft at the pinion seal yoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Drive shaft at the pinion seal yoke

My 2005 5.4 4x4 Lariat has a pinion seal leak. The question I have regarding this area is:
With the trans in neutral and I attempt to move the drive shaft up, down or side to side it's tight.
But, when I try rotating the drive shaft by hand it moves a little bit clockwise or counter clockwise.

Is this ok or is no play the rule?
Don't want to drive it on the holiday trip and have it go snap.

Discuss:
Old 12-13-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just changed my pinion seal. I didn't notice any play in the driveshaft, but I also wasn't looking for it. I'd say if its not making a lot of noise when shifting from drive to reverse, you should be fine.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by muddyford911
I just changed my pinion seal. I didn't notice any play in the driveshaft, but I also wasn't looking for it. I'd say if its not making a lot of noise when shifting from drive to reverse, you should be fine.

No noise when shifting into reverse or drive. Just a 1/4 turn slack either way when attempting to rotate it in neutral.
No movement up or down or side to side as mentioned.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Snappy
No noise when shifting into reverse or drive. Just a 1/4 turn slack either way when attempting to rotate it in neutral. No movement up or down or side to side as mentioned.
mine has about that much rotational play. it's caused by space between the ring and pinion gears. it's cause by wear. the technical name for it is backlash. does your truck clunk when going from drive to reverse
Old 12-14-2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by bill2014
mine has about that much rotational play. it's caused by space between the ring and pinion gears. it's cause by wear. the technical name for it is backlash. does your truck clunk when going from drive to reverse

None that I've heard or noticed Bill. It just leaks as of now and that little slack. I was thinking the bad seal allowed slack at the crush sleeve allowing the nut to back off some thus, creating the slack.

Just wondering if I should chance driving it on 300 mile trip to and fro on Christmas or not.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Uncle Snappy; 12-14-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I discovered mine when I went to change the fluid in thebrear diff. And since the fluid is so expensive, that was motivation for me to fix it asap. You don't want to have to constantly top it off when 75-140 is $15+ a quart.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm assuming you just have a leak that drips a little. If that's the case a 300 mile trip shouldn't be an issue. People drive around with leaky vehicles all the time. However since you care about your truck I would fix it sooner rather then later. Do you plan to do it yourself or have it done?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
I'm assuming you just have a leak that drips a little. If that's the case a 300 mile trip shouldn't be an issue. People drive around with leaky vehicles all the time. However since you care about your truck I would fix it sooner rather then later. Do you plan to do it yourself or have it done?

It's dripping more than it was months ago I'll say. I'm planning on replacing it myself after the short trip. It has oil slung all over under the truck back there. I'll replace the pinion seal and re-seal the rear cover as well being that's the only way to drain the chunk.

Thank you for all the responses to this thread by the way. I'll always post what I know to help also.

I'll post again after it's completed.

Happy holidays to you all!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by muddyford911
I discovered mine when I went to change the fluid in thebrear diff. And since the fluid is so expensive, that was motivation for me to fix it asap. You don't want to have to constantly top it off when 75-140 is $15+ a quart.

Man, I know what your talking about $15.00+ a bottle of purple power!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

When I did mine, the only two things worth noting are you'll need a wheel puller to pull the flange off the pinion, and you need to count exactly now many revolutions it takes to get the flange nut off. That's because you want to put it back on exactly where it was so you have the same preload on the bearings you had before. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Drive shaft at the pinion seal yoke