Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Dragging parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Canuck with a truck

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Dragging parking Brake

So a little back story my rear axle seals were leaking bad enough that there would be a oil spots left on my driveway, so I had to get it fixed. I took the truck to my mechanic where they replaced the seals and the rotors & pads since they were contaminated with gear oil. After all this work took place I noticed a bit of a vibration from the rear and when placed in drive without any throttle the truck wouldn't roll, and when coasting in drive the truck would slow down faster then normal. Also the rear brakes were hot so I and my mechanic assumed that my calipers were seized so both rears were replaced. After the mechanic did a test drive I payed my bill and hoped in the truck to leave. But when I placed the truck in drive and let off the brake the truck didn't move until i gave it a decent amount of gas. So I went back in and they threw the truck back on the lift, then discovered that my parking brake was dragging, but only when the brakes got hot. So an example I would run into town stop at home depot without any brake dragging but once I stopped in for 5 minutes then leave it feels like the brakes are locked on and I have to give it 1500 rpms for the truck to move. you can feel something stick for the first 45 secs then everything goes back to normal except you can feel a bit of vibration in the rear of the truck. But the sticking doesn't persist when the vehicle is cold but there still is some vibration from the rear. The rear brakes are hot and the fronts are no where as warm as the back so it has something to do with the rear.

Any insight from you folks to rectify the problem is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Sounds like your parking brake shoes are still adjusted too far out. If they changed everything when the seals, were leaking, hopefully they changed those too as they usually get oil soaked.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Canuck with a truck

When the replaced the calipers and realized it wasn't the issue and was the parking brake he spent a bunch of time adjusting the shoes.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Scissor actuator lever, my good man. Take off the rotor and look at the parking brake cable. It'll be hooked onto... well, a hook. That hook is actually the scissor lever, and I'd be willing to bet that by looking at it, you wouldn't guess that it's actually supposed to be two pieces. This generation of truck's scissor lever rusts into one solid piece and holds the brake shoes against the inside of the rotor drum. I took mine out and banged them on a concrete step with a hammer to get them back into two pieces, then soaked them in PB blaster and wire brushed them, covered them in caliper grease, and put them back in. No problems since then.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:50 PM
Canuck with a truck

Originally Posted by Martian
Scissor actuator lever, my good man. Take off the rotor and look at the parking brake cable. It'll be hooked onto... well, a hook. That hook is actually the scissor lever, and I'd be willing to bet that by looking at it, you wouldn't guess that it's actually supposed to be two pieces. This generation of truck's scissor lever rusts into one solid piece and holds the brake shoes against the inside of the rotor drum. I took mine out and banged them on a concrete step with a hammer to get them back into two pieces, then soaked them in PB blaster and wire brushed them, covered them in caliper grease, and put them back in. No problems since then.
Thanks for the suggestion, were you having similar issues as me.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Some guy

Yeah. That can also be caused by bad rubber brake lines, btw. They fray on the inside and make the caliper not able to release fluid back into the line. Start with the scissor lever. It's cheap to look.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Canuck with a truck

So a little update, I was doing a search on this and other forums for other members that have had similar issue as mine. One guy had identical situation as me and he just cycled the parking brake on and off and it resolved his issue. So this morning I went for a drive and before I left I cycled the parking brake on & off 10 times and solved my problem. There's no more vibration, no dragging and after a 30 km drive the rotors are 100F cooler then the same drive I did the other day.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:52 PM
Some guy

Then you should definitely check out the parking brake. It'll happen again.

Quick Reply: Dragging parking Brake