Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Door sensor wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Sara Palin 2011!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Door sensor wiring?

So I bought this
strip of LEDs strip of LEDs
for a project i'm doing, and it got me thinking about running a strip under my doors, and wiring them to turn on when the door opens.

after some searching I found a few people who did something similar. here's one http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-vip-puddle-lights-400066/
Another was on a tundra, but I can't find it now...

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is a wire in our doors that is only hot when the door is open. I really hope it's door dependent, so both strips don't turn on when only one door is open.. but even if that's the case, I guess it won't be so bad.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Certified Ford Technician

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The switches are in the latch assembly, they are normally open (when the door is shut) and close to ground (when the door is open) are wired directly to the security module. I don't know if the inputs are 12v or 5v based and the only way to get it to switch 12v+ is to wire in a relay or transistor switching circuit to actuate a relay so it doesn't disturb the module input status. or just get a generic door jamb switch and install it so you can have a stand alone circuit for your lights and that way you don't have to worry about disrupting or confusing the security module. all other door activated functions are communicated to the requesting control module from the security module through the module network.

EDIT*
you could do it with a 12v DPST type relay, one per door. You would have to modify the existing wiring though. If you're interested and pretty good with wiring let me know and I'll post a more detailed description of what to do.

Last edited by bleufox99; 02-09-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: new thought on wiring
Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Sara Palin 2011!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was hoping that I wouldn't be messing with the security system, but I knew deep down it might be a problem.

I first got the strips to do my bed, and after searching forever for a cheap momentary normally closed, I was getting frustrated.. no one makes 'em. A light bulb went off, and I was reminded of a refrigerator. The LEDs will run off of a 9v for a long long time, so I decided I'd just get a refrigerator switch, and throw a battery in the back. Worst case scenario, the battery doesn't last long and I have to rewire through the cab.

We'll see how the switch holds up... I should look into making some kind of boot, the damn thing is super sensitive though.

If I'm gonna be adding extra components and whatnot, I might just be better off putting switches and batteries in the doors. I understand the concept of a relay, but i've never used one before for a project. In any case, we might as well discuss it here. even if I go with a battery, someone might get something out of this post.

Quick Reply: Door sensor wiring?