Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Door panel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 11:41 AM
What base model?

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Door panel conversion

My '04 XL Scab does not have power windows or locks. I'm currently debating between going to a scrap yard and getting door panels off a truck that has power windows/locks and somehow getting it to work or just settling for an aftermarket system. After a call to my local scrap yard, they want $75 for each panel but won't sell the wiring harnesses unless I buy the whole door. Which would be easier and more economic? Door panels or aftermarket system? Also, could I buy the factory wiring harness separately somewhere else and how hard would it be to get it to work?
Old 06-08-2016, 11:13 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Although factory is undoubtedly nice, I couldn't justify the cost. I have about 100 bucks in power windows and locks. Both aftermarket generic eBay set. Don't get me wrong the windows aren't as fast as factory nor as quiet but way better than manual Windows.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:34 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

What BryanKephart says. Splicing in the wiring harness from the donor doors into your non wired XL is going to be a pain; it can be done, but it would be cheaper, and less expensive to simply buy an aftermarket kit for door locks and power windows.

I've done it twice, on a 2005 STX, and on my current 2007 STX. The 2005 was easier, as the tube that runs from the door to the cab was hollow to the door. The 2006 and up models used a tube that has a plug that connects to the cab, so you'll have to drill a hole in the cab to feed the wires into.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyMobile
My '04 XL Scab does not have power windows or locks. I'm currently debating between going to a scrap yard and getting door panels off a truck that has power windows/locks and somehow getting it to work or just settling for an aftermarket system. After a call to my local scrap yard, they want $75 for each panel but won't sell the wiring harnesses unless I buy the whole door. Which would be easier and more economic? Door panels or aftermarket system? Also, could I buy the factory wiring harness separately somewhere else and how hard would it be to get it to work?
You can buy a whole kit from A1 Electric for under $300. Even with switches and door caps it was only $323. I did the kit and it was pretty easy! First time doing it for me. System looks good and motors look like what Ford puts in. I wired kit to Cig. lighter. It's hot all the time, so if I want to put them down at, say a gas station, I can. Doors from a yard will probably cost you $300. per side and then you still have to wire them to harness. Just my thought!
Old 06-09-2016, 01:25 PM
What base model?

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like I'm going the aftermarket route. Just a little confused on how all the motors connect together and to the switches and where I could run all the wires without being visible
Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hoagie4901
You can buy a whole kit from A1 Electric for under $300. Even with switches and door caps it was only $323. I did the kit and it was pretty easy! First time doing it for me. System looks good and motors look like what Ford puts in. I wired kit to Cig. lighter. It's hot all the time, so if I want to put them down at, say a gas station, I can. Doors from a yard will probably cost you $300. per side and then you still have to wire them to harness. Just my thought!
I did this same kit. Didn't take long, comes with everything needed. Works great.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this post is old but maybe someone will see it. I am looking to do the same thing on my 2008 XL single cab. Question, can the aftermarket kit be wired to factory door panel switches? I realize I would have to purchase the pigtails from the dealer if available but does it matter what type of window switch or power lock switch is used on the aftermarket kit? Also, would the cables to open the doors be the same from my XL to a door panel with power switches say from a 2008 STX?

Quick Reply: Door panel conversion