Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Door ajar and lock problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door ajar and lock problem?

Hello everyone FNG here. I have an issue that just started. My door ajar icon on the dash says the door is ajar, it is not. The "information center" (right side dash) gauge displays the same message, hitting reset makes the text go away and resumes normal info function , but red icon on left gauge remains on. I suspect a stuck door switch? But in addition to this problem the interior swithches for lock on both front doors are inop and the "auto lock " feature does not funtion? The electric WINDOW switches work fine. Turning the "auto locks" on/ off has no effect.. The locks DO WORK using the remote on the key fob? Just not using the switches inside? Could these problems be inter related? These issues all started at the same time!
Old 04-15-2015, 12:35 PM

There is a common fix that many people used which was spraying wd 40 or carb cleaner inside the door locks where the sensor is to clean it out. It works for 90% of people posting on the forum.

Unfortunately it did not work for me. I'm currently having this problem and will be troubleshooting more today. There is another common issue, normally from the door ajar light not working, but some people have the similar problem as me and you. there is a purple wire under the back drivers door sill on the crew cabs. It runs right before the pillar and it is taped with a non water proof tape and gets corroded. You can look at that if the Wd 40 doesn't wprk.

Good luck. I'll continue to post here if I figure out my issue. Could be the sensor in the door just needs to be replaced.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WMcGregs
Unfortunately it did not work for me. I'm currently having this problem and will be troubleshooting more today. There is another common issue, normally from the door ajar light not working, but some people have the similar problem as me and you. there is a purple wire under the back drivers door sill on the crew cabs. It runs right before the pillar and it is taped with a non water proof tape and gets corroded. You can look at that if the Wd 40 doesn't wprk.
The purple wire issue tends to be related to the radio not turning off when the key is removed. I haven't heard of it being related to the 'door ajar' light or doors not being able to lock or unlock. I just fixed my purple wire issue and had none of the OPs issues. Not to say that it isn't the problem, but from experience and a butt load or reading, it doesn't sound like it.
I would suspect a door switch issue. Also being that the truck is thinking a door is open, it very well could be interfering with the door locks.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:05 PM

I tried the carb cleaner wd40 thing, no change. Where exactly is the switch, below, above the latch? Just trying the figure what direction to spray, I may have missed it? I did notice in addition to this issue the key in chime sounds when key is inserted, door closed. It also chimes in the accessory position, doors closed. Beginning to think once the ajar problem is fixed, the other issues may clear up? Who knows what will work or not if the truck thinks the door is open all the time!? I keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Door ajar and lock problem?