Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Does this sound like a seized engine to you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Does this sound like a seized engine to you?

2006 F-150 5.4 Triton engine, 200k kms. This isn't my truck but I was in it when the engine died. We were overloaded, of that I have no doubt. 5 adults, box absolutely full of camping gear, pulling about a 5000 lb boat up a long gradual hill.

The engine was revving high and then it just stopped running. 2 alarms sounded a few seconds apart. No smoke, no sound of anything breaking, no vehicle codes. We couldn't start the engine, it would turn over briefly maybe once or twice and then just click. A fully charged battery made no difference although the symptoms are indeed that of a dead battery.

It was towed to a Ford dealership and after several days they finallytook a look at it. The only feedback the owner received was a voice message saying they need a new engine as it is seized. My question is if these are the symptoms of a seized engine, especially the fact that it could be turned over? The owner is having the truck towed back to his home and will have his own mechanic take a look at it. Although the truck is in excellent shape he is not willing to replace the engine.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Force Trucker:)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought a seized engine meant it wouldn't turn over. Somebody else who knows for sure will have to pipe in
Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Oklahoma

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, a seized engine cannot turn over at all. It may be that the starter is bad or a wire got hot.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A real seized engine is just that, seized. The dealership could be generalizing or saying that the engine has too much damage to repair. The only real way to determine it is to take it apart - drop the oil pan and look for metal or other damage as a first step after determining of the starter is bad or other electrical problems as you described.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Derodeo
2006 F-150 5.4 Triton engine, 200k kms. This isn't my truck but I was in it when the engine died. We were overloaded, of that I have no doubt. 5 adults, box absolutely full of camping gear, pulling about a 5000 lb boat up a long gradual hill.

The engine was revving high and then it just stopped running. 2 alarms sounded a few seconds apart. No smoke, no sound of anything breaking, no vehicle codes. We couldn't start the engine, it would turn over briefly maybe once or twice and then just click. A fully charged battery made no difference although the symptoms are indeed that of a dead battery.

It was towed to a Ford dealership and after several days they finallytook a look at it. The only feedback the owner received was a voice message saying they need a new engine as it is seized. My question is if these are the symptoms of a seized engine, especially the fact that it could be turned over? The owner is having the truck towed back to his home and will have his own mechanic take a look at it. Although the truck is in excellent shape he is not willing to replace the engine.
So...throw the truck away ?? stick a re-man in it and be done
Old 09-11-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
So...throw the truck away ?? stick a re-man in it and be done
Lol. So if the engine is indeed toast I guess this truck is headed to the scrap yard! What a dumb turd this guy...
Old 09-11-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't know what he plans to do with the truck but he is buying a new one (2014 F-150). He's pretty tired of dumping money into that truck but I agree that he should be looking at what it will take to fix it. Wonder if dealerships take trade-ins on non-running trucks...
Old 09-12-2014, 12:27 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Derodeo
I don't know what he plans to do with the truck but he is buying a new one (2014 F-150). He's pretty tired of dumping money into that truck but I agree that he should be looking at what it will take to fix it. Wonder if dealerships take trade-ins on non-running trucks...
They do......for scrap price per pound.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:29 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

I'll give him a dollar for it, or a loonie. Which ever he prefers...
Old 09-12-2014, 12:46 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

A lot of this decision would have to hinge around the general condition, trim level, etc. of the truck. I have an 05 FX4 that has 79K miles and is in nearly new condition. Its been treated like a spoiled child. If it scattered its engine tomorrow, I'd go buy a new one in a box without a second thought. I have a 95 F250 (ranch beater) that looks like its been used for gunnery practice. When it blows I'm going to dig a hole with the backhoe and push it in.
Another thing to consider is the transmission. With 200,000 km (125,000 mi. If I did the math right) one might be wise to freshen up the trans while the engine is out. Especially if that last camping trip is representative of this trucks service life. My $.02

Quick Reply: Does this sound like a seized engine to you?