Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Does removing ignition cylinder free steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does removing ignition cylinder free steering wheel?

Hello all! I'm a new forum member. I bought a used 2007 F150 SC Lariat last year, and it's a fantastic truck! This is my first full size pickup, and I honestly don't know how I got along without one before now! I "love my truck"!!!

Anyway, I'm trying to do some add-ons, and I need a bit of advice . . . first off, I'm trying to add a new more sophisticated alarm system with remote start and pushbutton start. I think I can probably handle the wiring, BUT, the big problem I see right off is that the steering wheel is locked without the key turned to "on" in the ignition switch! So, I'm wondering if removing the ignition cylinder (which I understand is pretty simple to do) will allow the steering wheel to be "freed up"? I would just as soon not HAVE to keep a cut off key in the "on" position in the ignition switch if I can avoid it! If I have pushbutton start with a bypass module, I believe I can overcome the need for a cut off key in the ignition, true?? In my case, I'd prefer to remove the ignition cylinder altogether and just start the car via pushbutton, if possible. Can someone out there verify that I can do this?? Thanks in advance! Good to be with you all!

Last edited by Ogreman; 10-19-2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: forgot a detail
Old 10-19-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

I don't know about these trucks but on my 10th gen or 2002 F150 to remove the ignition switch you had to turn the key to run, which in turn left the steering wheel unlocked. You will still have to by pass the PATS system.
The following users liked this post:
Ogreman (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 11:37 AM

Yes Stephen, I was hoping that would be the case! So, as I understand it, if you put the key in the ignition and turn to "on" or "run" or whatever, you unlock the steering wheel, true? Which seems to indicate that this is a simple, MECHANICAL (not electronic) LOCK. Right? Also, when the key is in the "on" position, this just happens to also be the position for removing the entire ignition cylinder, true?? Then, if you're installing a remote start with alarm, you can simply use a bypass module (properly programmed for the vehicle, of course) to bypass the PATS and thus to remote start the vehicle without even having the ignition cylinder in, right? Thus, no need for a key or cut key, also right? Then with a properly installed pushbutton start switch, a person should be able to get in and startup for driving, I would assume. Please comment all . . . anxious to hear all ya'll's input here. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:49 AM

That sounds like it would work. I cant tell you for sure. I was wanting to do that to my 10th gen but it seemed like a hassle to install and then the steering wheel would always be unlocked. In theory it should work however I know from experience that sometimes theory is better on paper than real life.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:51 AM

Also forgot, yes when the key is turned to on the steering wheel is unlocked. I don't know if removal of the switch is the same as the older model Im speaking of 97-03 and finally some of those remote starts only by pass the PATS when used from the remote, not a push button. Don't know exactly what you have or how it works.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:11 PM

Smile

OK, thanks Stephen. That gives me some confidence to at least mess around with it. I've seen some U-Tube videos that show how to remove the ignition cylinder, and it looks pretty easy. A key has to be in it and turned to the "on" position, then by pushing a long implement (such as the long end of an allen wrench) thru a hole on the bottom of the steering column directly below the ign cylinder, they show how the entire ignition barrel can be removed by gently "jiggling" it out of its moorings by pulling on the inserted key in the "on" position. The allen wrench is used to push up on a pin on the inside end of the ignition cylinder which frees the cylinder up to come out of the barrel. My remote start kit is coming in the mail next week along with a programmable bypass module (doesn't require the extra key like the old-style bypass modules did). So I guess I'll start messing with the cylinder in advance. From what I'm seeing, as long as you have the bypass correctly set up, you shouldn't need a key, nor even the ignition assembly. If this is all true, I plan on using a pushbutton start on the front dash next to the A/C controls to start the vehicle for driving (I understand that the remote start systems will shut the vehicle down when you open the door to get in). If I can do this, I'll simply cover up the ignition barrel hole with some sort of self-made trim piece painted to match/complement the colors around the ignition barrel. I'll try to post again after I try the ignition pull-out trick. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:14 PM

Also forgot . . . the kit I'm purchasing comes with BOTH the remote and the pushbutton start all combined together. So it's an integrated system, not piecemeal.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:57 PM

Cool! Got a link to that setup? Again Im just assuming this gen is the same as the last gen and yes, turn key, push pin, cylinder come right out. I don't know what size the hole will be but they make a wide variety of knockout covers like these.

https://www.amazon.com/Arlington-NM9...Bknockout&th=1
Old 10-21-2016, 10:10 AM

Thanks Stephen! That link has great info on caps. Didn't know there was such things manufactured in bunches like that! If I get the cylinder out and everything works well, I'll definitely be needing something like these caps.

Quick Reply: Does removing ignition cylinder free steering wheel?