Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Do programmers prematurely wear an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Carpe Diem

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do programmers prematurely wear an engine?

Exactly as my title states, I'm wondering if programmers prematurely wear an engine out. What exactly do they do, and how can it do it without taking a toll on your engine.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:53 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

No they will not. If anything, they will help regulate the air / fuel mix better.

Which programmer are you looking at? Some do a few base things, and some can do more.

And if you keep your foot out of it, it will improve your gas mileage slighty.
But you see a marked difference in thottle response and accleration esp at lower speeds...
Old 07-30-2009, 02:54 PM
I WANNA GO FAST!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only thing i think they would possibly damage would be your transmission if your doing a powertune, not one for MPG.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Carpe Diem

What would you recommend, for one that I could set it to get more throttle response and power, and sometimes more mpg? I really don't know much about programmers so I don't know if one can have multiple settings or if you have to buy a different one everytime you change your plans or what. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If you tune "smart", you'll not damage the engine at all. However, if you're over aggressive with the timing, and use cheap fuel, you could end up with detonation (piston danage).

Just don't go overboard with the timing advance(s), and use the high grade gas.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:09 AM

If you use one of the tunes that the Tuner manufacturer has setup in the tuner you should not have any issues.I have a Diablosport for my Mustang and actually get better MPG's when I keep my foot out of it.Some tunes have a firm shift tune for the trans I have that on the car and it will throw you in the seat on a wide open throttle run.I spoke to one of the techs at Diablo about if it will hurt the trans and they assured me no damage is being done it actually is causing less slippage in the clutches.If you want to really go for the HP after you add bolt ons you can it dyno tuned to get the max and safest HP from the vehicle.Also there are normally a few different tunes for 87 or 93 octane fuel...
Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 AM

My opinion on the programmers is that it will wear down a motor . In todays market it's all about horse power and better mileage. I think if these programmers/ tuners worked in the auto makers benefit by getting better gas mileage and more throttle response they would probably add them at the factory to get an edge over their competitors but then again it is only my opinion, I am not bashing anyone. How many trucks with 100,000 plus miles have a tuner ?
Old 07-31-2009, 01:06 PM

Thats a good question sportmen.. does anyone have an answer
Old 07-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Average Joe

Originally Posted by sportsmen
My opinion on the programmers is that it will wear down a motor . In todays market it's all about horse power and better mileage. I think if these programmers/ tuners worked in the auto makers benefit by getting better gas mileage and more throttle response they would probably add them at the factory to get an edge over their competitors but then again it is only my opinion, I am not bashing anyone. How many trucks with 100,000 plus miles have a tuner ?
Mine will.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:46 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsmen

my car had 90k on a custom tuned chip before i pulled the motor....new motor has 50k with a custom tune via xcal2.

Quick Reply: Do programmers prematurely wear an engine?