Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

do i need a new starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Default do i need a new starter?

On occasion my truck makes the nasty grinding noise (like if I were to turn the key when the truck is running) when I try and start my truck. It'll make the noise then I just take the key out and turn it again and its cranks up nicely. Do I need a new starter? As far as I can see from lookin at other forums this is the fix but I wanna make sure from yall. And if so could someone direct me towards a solid replacement? I'm seein em for like 120 from NSA but some have diff numbers of teeth and stuff and I have no clue what I need and I'm damn sure not goin to the stealership
Old 10-21-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bossman15
On occasion my truck makes the nasty grinding noise (like if I were to turn the key when the truck is running) when I try and start my truck. It'll make the noise then I just take the key out and turn it again and its cranks up nicely. Do I need a new starter? As far as I can see from lookin at other forums this is the fix but I wanna make sure from yall. And if so could someone direct me towards a solid replacement? I'm seein em for like 120 from NSA but some have diff numbers of teeth and stuff and I have no clue what I need and I'm damn sure not goin to the stealership
have someone look at the starter when you turn it over. If it wiggles it could be loose. sometimes the threads can go bad due to vibrations, since the threads are in aluminum and theyre soft they can get stripped out and the bolts will wiggle loose. usually they can put some of those spring screw dealies in and "re thread" the holes and its good as new. that will save you a few bucks.

if thats the case, the grinding is coming from the gear inside, when the solenoid engages it pushes the starter away and the gear dances and makes that noise. But if it starts up just fine after you take the key out it might not be loose bolts.

this happened on my dads super duty.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:41 PM
wide****inopen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the soleniod isnt engaging the spur gear into the ring gear completely unblot the starter and try sprating some lithium grease or something on the shaft the spur gear slides on be4 u go buying a new starter
Old 10-22-2009, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by livefast
sounds like the soleniod isnt engaging the spur gear into the ring gear completely unblot the starter and try sprating some lithium grease or something on the shaft the spur gear slides on be4 u go buying a new starter
X2 to someone whose smarter than me! ha ha
Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Most "upper end" auto parts stores can test the starter for you if you remove it and take it to them.

Beware of cheap priced starters. There is plenty of junk remanufactured starters and alternators out there. Basic rule of thumb: buy cheap, get cheap. I've never been a supporter of those "$49.95" remainufactured alternators or starters.

When it comes to these types of parts, I stick with genuine FoMoCo parts. You'll pay more, but they'll fit, and more importantly, they'll last.

While the starter is out, inspect the teeth on the flywheel/flexplate with a flashlight and make sure they did not get chewed up. If they are, it will need to be replaced; otherwise, the new starter you install may only last a short time before you get the same results again.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 10-22-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 AM
November 2009 TOTM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

here is just a thought.....my buddies truck did the same thing that you are describing...made noise sometimes but not all the time...turned out his flywheel teeth were damaged at a certain point so when that point can in contact with starter made one hell of a grinding noise.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by usafirebird
here is just a thought.....my buddies truck did the same thing that you are describing...made noise sometimes but not all the time...turned out his flywheel teeth were damaged at a certain point so when that point can in contact with starter made one hell of a grinding noise.
doesnt sound happy.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by usafirebird
If you keep grinding the starter on the flywheel you will have teeth missing off the fly wheel and that's at least a tranny slide back if not a pull depends on the room between the firewall, tranny mount/cross member and the tranny
Old 10-23-2009, 08:05 AM
November 2009 TOTM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

he is getting it fixed should be ready in time for the california meet

Quick Reply: do i need a new starter?