Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY

Hi I am 18 and driving an 06 F150 king ranch. My other car is a 1990 mustang 5.0 lx. I'd love to become my own mechanic but I'm going to study business in college and don't know anyone who knows a lot about cars. Any clue on where to start and learn the ins and outs? How'd y'all get into it?
Old 05-12-2014, 02:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes the best teacher is just to dive in and figure it out. I'd recommend getting some quality repair and maintenance manuals. I've also learned a lot from doing some You tube searches and don't forget the fine folks on this site. There is a wealth of knowledge available here just for the asking.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 AM
Stormtrooper

Received 56 Likes on 56 Posts

internet my friend. youtube and google can guide u throw alot these days. learned more on youtube videos and forums than i did in mechanic courses at college lol. my brother is the same as u . just turned 18 a week ago and owns a 05 fx4 and 01 stang gt 5 speed. doesnt really care for taking things apart thats why he has me i guess haha
Old 05-12-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Good advice above^^^. Dig in and get your hands dirty and The inter web
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I did by having an inoperative truck that had to get me to a job where I must go to support two kids, a mortgage and crushing student loans and not having money to waste on toys or tweaks, researched the problem, bought a manual and did it myself through trial, error and necessity.

That pretty much sums it up. YMMV, and clearly already does.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tbizcuit
Hi I am 18 and driving an 06 F150 king ranch. My other car is a 1990 mustang 5.0 lx. I'd love to become my own mechanic but I'm going to study business in college and don't know anyone who knows a lot about cars. Any clue on where to start and learn the ins and outs? How'd y'all get into it?
There's a lot of good info on YouTube. Check out EricTheCarGuy, ScannerDanner, realfixesrealfast, robinsonsauto, and briansmobile1.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:35 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

~~~double post - sorry ~~~

Last edited by MGD; 05-12-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:37 AM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by tbizcuit
Hi & welcome!

Agree with what was already stated.

I'll add:

-Start small - even karts, lawnmowers, dirtbikes, etc will give some basic fumdamental concepts.

-See if a local community college, etc offers auto mechanics classes in the evenings. If so, enroll.

-Expect to make mistakes - a LOT of them. This is fine, as it is a very good way to learn. as long as you don't REPEAT those mistakes. Don't let this discourage you.

-Work on whichever vehicle in yer stable is NOT yer primary daily driver.

-Ask questions - LOTS and LOTS of questions. Preferably BEFORE you execute something yer not sure of, lol.

Buy the proper safety equipment - safety glasses/face shield, nitrile gloves, mechanics gloves, etc, etc. Check out Harbor Freight, TSC, etc. Princess Auto in Canuckistan.

Invest in good tools. Expensive stuff you can always rent for now - some parts places lend for free if you buy stuff from them.

best of luck!

Cheers
MGD
Old 05-12-2014, 09:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MGD
Hi & welcome!

Agree with what was already stated.

I'll add:

-Start small - even karts, lawnmowers, dirtbikes, etc will give some basic fumdamental concepts.

-See if a local community college, etc offers auto mechanics classes in the evenings. If so, enroll.

-Expect to make mistakes - a LOT of them. This is fine, as it is a very good way to learn. as long as you don't REPEAT those mistakes. Don't let this discourage you.

-Work on whichever vehicle in yer stable is NOT yer primary daily driver.

-Ask questions - LOTS and LOTS of questions. Preferably BEFORE you execute something yer not sure of, lol.

Buy the proper safety equipment - safety glasses/face shield, nitrile gloves, mechanics gloves, etc, etc. Check out Harbor Freight, TSC, etc. Princess Auto in Canuckistan.

Invest in good tools. Expensive stuff you can always rent for now - some parts places lend for free if you buy stuff from them.

best of luck!

Cheers
MGD

Really? That's it? Seriously? Man - you ARE bipolar...JUST KIDDING.

Listen to MGD, the MGD is wise, the MGD is good...
Old 05-12-2014, 09:49 AM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by Prof
Really? That's it? Seriously? Man - you ARE bipolar...JUST KIDDING.

Listen to MGD, the MGD is wise, the MGD is good...
LMFAO !!!

That's IT. I'm-a puttin' ye on IGNORE, ya Curmudgeon

MGD

PS - OP, ol' Bubba fergot ta mention - leverage yer local Library.

Quick Reply: DIY