Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Disappearing Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Disappearing Brake Fluid

Hello guys and girls,
I have a 2004 SCREW, lots of miles(210,000), well taken care of. It, however, has a case of disappearing brake fluid. The Ford guy and I crawled all over and under the truck looking for some kind of leak, drip, anything. Truck is dry as a bone. Brakes work fine, were replaced by dealer and fluid changed about 3 months ago. It has been slowly going down, and has been doing this for a while. Any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Animal Hoarder

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

How fast is it going down? The brake fluid lever wll drop as the brakes wear, but its not an extreme amount.

Unbolt the master cylinder and pull it away from the brake booster (leave the lines attached.) Look to see if the seal on the end of the master cylinder where the plunger pushes is leaking. Many times the seal will go bad and the fluid will leak into the brake booster.

Its going somewhere, youll find it eventually.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Devil's advocate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SuzukiRider
Unbolt the master cylinder and pull it away from the brake booster (leave the lines attached.) Look to see if the seal on the end of the master cylinder where the plunger pushes is leaking. Many times the seal will go bad and the fluid will leak into the brake booster.
x2. I had this happen on a Volvo of mine. Booster was nearly full.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Do I need to replace the booster, as well as the M/C? Does the fluid rot the booster?
Old 08-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Animal Hoarder

Originally Posted by chuckster48
Do I need to replace the booster, as well as the M/C? Does the fluid rot the booster?
If it has been leaking for awhile, yes it can damage the booster. I typically clean it out the best I can and pray it hasnt caused any damaged. When the booster goes bad, youll know it. The brake pedal will be rock hard.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:14 PM

Pulled out the master cylinder, and it was leaking. This is a little different setup than I am used to. There is a vacuum that pulls against the master cylinder. So, any leakage from the master cylinder does not run out below the master cylinder, it gets sucked into the brake booster. It does not show anywhere that you would expect to see signs of a leak.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Animal Hoarder

Sounds like you need a new master cylinder. There is probably a seal between the master and the booster, dont forget to reinstall it or you'll have a massive vacuum leak.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:18 PM

Replaced! When I took it off to check it out, the square "O" ring dropped off, and I did not realize it. Put the m/c back on, and had no power brakes. Thought that I had not put the rod in right, although you can't mess it up. I can. Found the ring on the other side of the truck. Now all is well.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disappearing brake fluid

My 2012 F150 has only 17000 miles on it and had a brake failure yesterday. Luckily it was across the street from the Ford dealer. They filled up the reservoir and sent me on my way. Within 4 miles it was empty with no signs of leakage. They brought me two bottles of fluid so I could make it back and they now have it. I'm worried they'll just rebuild the master and clean out the booster and it will only last until the warranty runs out. I think they should replace with new under warranty!! Don't you?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by augie62
My 2012 F150 has only 17000 miles on it and had a brake failure yesterday. Luckily it was across the street from the Ford dealer. They filled up the reservoir and sent me on my way. Within 4 miles it was empty with no signs of leakage. They brought me two bottles of fluid so I could make it back and they now have it. I'm worried they'll just rebuild the master and clean out the booster and it will only last until the warranty runs out. I think they should replace with new under warranty!! Don't you?
I want to step in here and do what I can to help, augie62. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll check out some options.

Crystal

Quick Reply: Disappearing Brake Fluid