Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Disable AC compressor for defrost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 11:42 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Disable AC compressor for defrost?

In my previous two vehicles, I have been able to defeat the AC compressor in the defrost and defrost/foot modes. I am wondering if that is possible in my 2005 lariat w/auto climate. In my 2004 Honda Accord, there was a button pushing sequence that changed the AC system to not cycle the compressor when defrost and defrost/foot was selected.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:52 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Why would you want to? The system cycles the AC compressor to keep the system lubricated. It extends the life of the compressor and ancillary systems, and has no effect on the heating/cooling whatsoever.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:27 AM
Timber Baron

It burns more fuel and puts increased load on the engine when oil is coldest.

I just ran through the factory service manual for the climate control, and the compressor will not come on below 35*F, so it really isn't that big of a deal since the air temp will rarely be that high.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:53 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by gone postal
Why would you want to? The system cycles the AC compressor to keep the system lubricated. It extends the life of the compressor and ancillary systems, and has no effect on the heating/cooling whatsoever.
^^ This. The minute amount of fuel the clutch would use is much less then the cost of A/C repair and/or service if it were to dry out from several months on no usage. The engineers got this right.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The reason for running the a/c is to make the evaporator cold. As the defrost air is pulled through the cold evaporator any miosture will condense out. Now the air blowing on your window is warm AND dry. Disabling the a/c compressor will have a negative impact on defroster performance.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:49 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
The reason for running the a/c is to make the evaporator cold. As the defrost air is pulled through the cold evaporator any miosture will condense out. Now the air blowing on your window is warm AND dry. Disabling the a/c compressor will have a negative impact on defroster performance.
This is correct. Basically it decreases the chance of your windows fogging up.

The other replies make sense too. It does help by keeping the system lubricated.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Timber Baron

I know what the AC does. I want a defroster only option. Note the difference between defrost and defog.

Can anyone help me do that, or am I going to have to figure it out myself again like my 2wd low range switch......
Old 11-23-2015, 11:25 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
Originally Posted by Doug06fx4screw
This is correct. Basically it decreases the chance of your windows fogging up.

The other replies make sense too. It does help by keeping the system lubricated.
This. I like a clean, clear windshied.

Originally Posted by Toshbar
I know what the AC does. I want a defroster only option. Note the difference between defrost and defog.

Can anyone help me do that, or am I going to have to figure it out myself again like my 2wd low range switch......
Unplug the pigtail from the compressor. This will give you just defroster only. I'm sure there is also a fuse for this function as well that could be put on a toggle switch.

When you say you want someone to help you, are you meaning come over and do it or?
Old 11-24-2015, 12:07 AM
Timber Baron

Originally Posted by scobar

When you say you want someone to help you, are you meaning come over and do it or?
What I'd really like is for someone to tell me which wire coming out of the EATC is the compressor signal, so I can intercept it with a toggle switch like I did in my Jeep.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:29 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

^^ A test probe or multimeter will help you with that.

Quick Reply: Disable AC compressor for defrost?