Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Digital odometer backlight doesn't work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 AM
2007 F150 XLT

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Digital odometer backlight doesn't work?

Hi, its been this way since I bought the truck. The odometer/trip meter works but at night the backlight doesn't work (not necessarily a big deal not to be able to see my mileage but I would like to fix it). It will maybe once a month intermittently work and light up but 99 times out of 100 it will not. I drive to work at night hence how its become one of those really noticeable and now its erking me type things I want to fix haha. Any ideas? Maybe a simple fuse replacement or idk. If you know what will make it work please be specific, im not the greatest at figuring mechanical things out on my own.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Easy fix. Theres quite a few write ups on here about it. Basicly sounds like the bulb just isant seated all the way down-in the light socket. Mine was the same way. Just pull the trim off from around the guage cluster then un bolt the cluster. Once its out flip it over anf youll see the bulbs theres like 10. then either replace the problem one or just make sure its seated correctly. It really is easy. And if you do some searches on this forum there is a great "step by step" even tells you socket size and replacment bulb numbers.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

It may have been that a previous owner replaced that bulb already, but used the wrong one, or as already stated, it's just simply loose. The "information center" uses a slightly larger bulb (bigger filiment), as the bulb is supposed to be brigher when the headlights are off (daytime driving) so that the information can be seen. When the cluster is out, you will see easily that this bulb is slightly larger than the other guage lights. If it's the same size as the others, then you have your solution. Head over to your Ford parts counter to get the replacement bulb, as I don't think these are sold at the local auto parts stores.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Pitmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
It may have been that a previous owner replaced that bulb already, but used the wrong one, or as already stated, it's just simply loose. The "information center" uses a slightly larger bulb (bigger filiment), as the bulb is supposed to be brigher when the headlights are off (daytime driving) so that the information can be seen. When the cluster is out, you will see easily that this bulb is slightly larger than the other guage lights. If it's the same size as the others, then you have your solution. Head over to your Ford parts counter to get the replacement bulb, as I don't think these are sold at the local auto parts stores.
I had the exact same problem and I replaced the bulb and it fixed it. I found one at O'Rielly. I'm out of town right now so I can't look at the package to get the part number (yes I have spare) but I'm sure the write up has the right one.

Quick Reply: Digital odometer backlight doesn't work?