Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Difficulty shifting into PARK

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty shifting into PARK

I have a 2008 Lariat 4x4 with the center console gear shift. We are experiencing a series of substantial snowfalls, so I have had the pleasure of engaging the 4x4 periodically. The snow at times has been 10-15+ inches, so there is a lot of slush and ice build-up underneath. I am experiencing a problem periodically with being unable to shift vehicle into PARK when I stop. This means if I turn the vehicle off, I am unable to start it, because it is not in park. It feels like a problem with the linkage (not sure if the snow/ice/temperatures causing this). At times I am having to play with it for 5-10 minutes until able to force it into park and then when I do it still will not start (as if the computer isn't acknowledging it is in park). So far been lucky haven't gotten stranded. Anyone have any ideas or had this problem?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like something specific to your truck. I have a center console gear shift (FX4) and we regularly get 10+ inch snows. Never had any issue putting it in park.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Dont know about the issue but leave it in neutral and use the parking brake until you can get it looked at/it un thaws haha. you can always start it in neutral!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had this same issue last winter i crawled underneath my truck and had a large amount of ice build up from the road around my tranny just knocked some off waited about an hour and it would go through everything flawlessly
Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

It definitely sounds like some ice is bound up around the linkage. I would not try to force it into Park. You will likely bend or break part of the linkage against the ice. Is there any way to clean it out under there? Throw some warm water under there to clean the ice out? I believe you should be able to start from neutral. So just use e-brake until you can get it cleaned out.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Park it in a heated garage... If you have other things you can do to your truck like clean it, etc... Bring it to a do it yourself car wash and work on other things for an hour or two. Those are heated and free!!!

Quick Reply: Difficulty shifting into PARK