Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Difference between "bucket" and "bench" seats in an 04 Supercrew

Old 04-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between "bucket" and "bench" seats in an 04 Supercrew

So I have a 2004 XLT Supercrew that came with the 40/20/40 bench seat. I have been contemplating changing the seats out and going with the leather buckets seats and have been starting to call the salvage yards and shop ebay. But from looking at the pictures on Ebay of various "bucket" seats, they look just like the ones that I have currently. Is there a true difference? What should I be looking for?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I think that because you have a center console/jumpseat (?), your passenger and drivers seat are considered "bucket" seats. To me, a bench seat is one "solid" seat that goes all the way accross the cab.

My STX standard (no rear seat) has the integrated seatbelt setup in the seats; what I consider bucket seats as well, but some have said that "bucket seats" are considered seats that do not have the integrated seat belts. I've seen where the seatbelts are in the side area of the body instead of the seats, specifically in the crew cab type models.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 AM

Thanks Bucko. I was under the impression that there was a difference in the seat styles between the bench and bucket seats, but I may need to think this through before I drop $1200 on a seat of leather seats. If there is no difference in the seats, may be cheaper just to get new leather covers and redo it myself.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 PM

basically a bench seat would be were its one solid seat or split but there isnt a center console or a drop done one on the seat and bucket seats and 2 completely different seats where the middle area is left open sorry about the crappy explanation i know what it is i just dont know how to explain it haha
Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavalry99
So I have a 2004 XLT Supercrew that came with the 40/20/40 bench seat. I have been contemplating changing the seats out and going with the leather buckets seats and have been starting to call the salvage yards and shop ebay. But from looking at the pictures on Ebay of various "bucket" seats, they look just like the ones that I have currently. Is there a true difference? What should I be looking for?
think i can help. well technically a bench seat holds multiple people, generally 3, and goes the full width of the cab, while bucket seats hole one person and there are generally 2 per row of seats. older bench seats were one full 3-person seat. newer ones often have a fold down armrest if someones not in the middle you can fold it down. now you say you have the f150's 40/20/40 bench seat. now thats basically 2 bucket seats but there is a narrow middle seat between them, and the seatback folds down for an armrest/console. now optional is bucket seats, a driver's and passenger seat with a true center console between them, on XLTs its "partial" length, only between the seats with open floor in front of it and a column shift. highter trims have a full console thats attatched to the dash with floor shift. anywat, the 40/20/40 is really 3 bucket seats right next to each other i suppose, you can remove the middle seat seperately and install a center console...seen it done in a 2012 STX....anyway, there really should be no difference. while the 40/20/40 is a bench seat, when you think about it the front right passenger seat and the drivers seat are technically bucket seats really, since the middle seat is seperately removable. so yes, they should be the same as true bucket seats, only you have a little middle seat and true bucket eats have a true center console. sorry if that was long, hope I could help. BTW, soulds like you have a nice truck....
Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The leather ones on lariets and fx4s are called captain chairs, and they are different than the split bench. They are thicker backed and thicker on the seat part and the conformity is a little different

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference between "bucket" and "bench" seats in an 04 Supercrew