Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Did Ford fix the Plug issue with replacements

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did Ford fix the Plug issue with replacements

I had the plugs done in 2010, 2 broke. got part SP-507 put in , now its time for ME to do them now 88 km later , do we know if they have same concerns or did ford fix the plugs? also when i do them do i do COP, are they either good or bad, do they wear?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:53 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

when I change the plugs in the 3v engines, I always spray a liberal amount of wd40 down the hole after removing the coil. Take you ratchet and just barely loosen maybe 1/8-1/4 turn on all of them and then let it set for about an hour. Come back and slowly work them out. loosen a bit then tighten a bit keep doing this until it starts to loosen smoothly with little drag and remove. Out of the hundreds I have changed, I have never had one break off in the head using this method. *knocks on wood...* Oh and make sure there is a little heat in the engine. If your doing it in the morning after it sitting all night, fire it up for about 2-3 mins. If you just get home from work let sit for about an hour to cool off a touch.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpony
when I change the plugs in the 3v engines, I always spray a liberal amount of wd40 down the hole after removing the coil. Take you ratchet and just barely loosen maybe 1/8-1/4 turn on all of them and then let it set for about an hour. Come back and slowly work them out. loosen a bit then tighten a bit keep doing this until it starts to loosen smoothly with little drag and remove. Out of the hundreds I have changed, I have never had one break off in the head using this method. *knocks on wood...* Oh and make sure there is a little heat in the engine. If your doing it in the morning after it sitting all night, fire it up for about 2-3 mins. If you just get home from work let sit for about an hour to cool off a touch.
Although this will serve me to very helpful , the question is does anyone know for sure if corrections have been made to the OEM replacements and do I have to do coils.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:00 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

The newer plugs can still break. You still need to take your time. And, you don't need to do coils unless you break one during removal/reinstallation which could very likely happen. IMO, coils work or they don't. Although other people like to change them at their plug changes, but I haven't changed mine at 180K.

You might want to change the boots though. They are cheap.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:16 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

At 88km (about 55k miles), you stand a better chance of NOT breaking any. By 2010, the plug breakage issue was known, so hopefully the shop put some nickel anti-seize on the plugs. Follow the previous instructions and you should be good.
As far as the cop's, I agree with changing the boots with the plugs. Clean the corrosion off of the nipple that contacts the boot spring. I use a paper nail file, cut to size, and compressed air. Use some dialelectric grease on both ends of the boot spring. If you still have issues after changing the plugs, then look into changing the COP'S. Those things are expensive though, so I like to try to keep them going as long as possible.

Quick Reply: Did Ford fix the Plug issue with replacements