Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Diagram for spark plug removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:33 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Thumbs up Diagram for spark plug removal

ACTION:

Refer to the following Service Procedure for techniques to remove the spark plugs and extract broken spark plugs.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

The engine build date can be read on the left hand cam cover information sticker.
To remove spark plugs without damage, it is necessary to adhere exactly to this procedure before removal is attempted.
CAUTION:DO NOT REMOVE PLUGS WHEN THE ENGINE IS WARM OR HOT. THE ENGINE MUST BE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE WHEN PERFORMING SPARK PLUG SERVICE. REMOVING THE SPARK PLUGS FROM A WARM/HOT ENGINE INCREASES THE CHANCE THE THREADS COULD BE DAMAGED.

Spark Plug Removal Procedure

1. Remove the coil-on-plug assemblies and thoroughly blow out the spark plug wells and surrounding valve cover area with compressed air.
  2. Back out the spark plugs no more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. Using Motorcraft® Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner, fill the spark plug well just above where the jamb nut hex sits (1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon). A minimum period of 15 minutes of soak time is required. The cleaner will wick down to the ground electrode shield and soften the carbon deposits in this time. DO NOT WORK the spark plug back and forth at this point. NOTE:COMPLETELY REVIEW THE PRODUCT LABEL FOR THE MOTORCRAFT CARBURETOR TUNE-UP CLEANER PRODUCT - USE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE AND SHAKE WELL.

CAUTION:EXCESSIVE MOTORCRAFT® CARBURETOR TUNE-UP CLEANER, OR REPEATING THE PROCESS SEVERAL TIMES WITH TOO MUCH CLEANER FLUID, COULD INTRODUCE ENOUGH LIQUID VOLUME TO HYDRO-LOCK THE ENGINE.

CAUTION:DO NOT USE AIR OR POWER TOOLS FOR SPARK PLUG REMOVAL. SPARK PLUGS MUST ONLY BE REMOVED WITH HAND TOOLS.
  3. Tighten, and then loosen the spark plug, working the plug back and forth. Some screeching and high effort may be noticed. The expected removal torque is about 33 lb-ft (45 N-m). Repeat the back and forth turning as needed until turning effort is reduced, and remove the spark plugs. NOTE:NEW PLUGS SHOULD BE INSTALLED USING A FILM COATING OF MOTORCRAFT HIGH TEMPERATURE NICKEL ANTI-SEIZE LUBRICANT ON THE GROUND ELECTRODE SHIELD. DO NOT COAT THE ELECTRODE STRAP. (Figure 1)
Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice thread man.Howabout makeing this sticky?

Hey Lenn,can we make this a sticky?I think allot of ppl on this forum would benifit from this
Old 04-21-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Umm, this should be the current TSB: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ke...sb08-07-06.pdf
Old 04-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GATORB8
Umm, this should be the current TSB: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ke...sb08-07-06.pdf
now that should be a sticky!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

That is from the current TSB, I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post the whole thing, mine had a disclaimer on it. But I figured that I could post the important parts lol

Quick Reply: Diagram for spark plug removal