Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Diagnosis of Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diagnosis of Gremlin

Alright guys, I'll try to keep this short by sticking to the minimum. I have a 2006 KingRanch with ~65k miles.

Originally when I tried to pass people or get up to speed on an on-ramp my truck would stutter and lose power (misfiring). I took it in and had my local mechanic, who I trust reasonably enough, replace the plugs with SP-515's (only broke 1 plug). It was still missing but worse...truck would start shaking, lose power, and making noises all the time. It eventually threw a code and I took it in again. It said cylinder 3 & 7 were missing so he replaced the COP's on those cylinders. It was still misfiring, and check engine light was flashing...I brought it in again but the code didn't store!?

Is it a bad plug? Another bad COP? Any/all input appreciated...thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by callaway29
Alright guys, I'll try to keep this short by sticking to the minimum. I have a 2006 KingRanch with ~65k miles.

Originally when I tried to pass people or get up to speed on an on-ramp my truck would stutter and lose power (misfiring). I took it in and had my local mechanic, who I trust reasonably enough, replace the plugs with SP-515's (only broke 1 plug). It was still missing but worse...truck would start shaking, lose power, and making noises all the time. It eventually threw a code and I took it in again. It said cylinder 3 & 7 were missing so he replaced the COP's on those cylinders. It was still misfiring, and check engine light was flashing...I brought it in again but the code didn't store!?

Is it a bad plug? Another bad COP? Any/all input appreciated...thanks.

My dads 2006 used to do that. He took it in and the fuel filters were plugged up. He had them changed and it solved the problem immediatly
Old 01-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Clogged CAT....
Old 01-16-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2004lariatkindofguy
My dads 2006 used to do that. He took it in and the fuel filters were plugged up. He had them changed and it solved the problem immediatly
Thanks for the input. I just changed my fuel filter...it was about time anyways. Fingers crossed it works. I'll report back after I test drive for a couple days.

Last edited by callaway29; 01-16-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
Clogged CAT....
How would I further diagnose/confirm? I believe I have 4 cats...
Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was a clogged cat it would most likely be just on one bank not both. I would rplace the other 6 coils. But it could still be a clogged cat.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey Hunter
If it was a clogged cat it would most likely be just on one bank not both. I would rplace the other 6 coils. But it could still be a clogged cat.
If it was a coil, wouldn't it throw a code for that cylinder? Do Ford dealerships have the capability to test for exhaust restrictions? In my research, I found that a clogged cat can be verified with a vacuum test...?

Trending Topics

Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

FPDM. Had exact same symptoms, except mine was cyl 2&8. They can cause all sorts of misleading symptoms which leaves you running around chasing plugs, coils, and cats.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by lariatboy
FPDM. Had exact same symptoms, except mine was cyl 2&8. They can cause all sorts of misleading symptoms which leaves you running around chasing plugs, coils, and cats.
You aren't kidding...plugs, coils, cats, fpdm...by the time I'm done it'll cost me a small fortune. I really hope it's not the cats, but to be honest I did have a strong gas/exhaust smell in the cab when I got it back from the mechanic. So much so that I got an air freshner because it was making me nauseous. I just thought it was the mechanic having my windows down in his shop overnight...but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks for ur input lariatboy, I'll take a look underneath the spare tire tomorrow and take it from there...if there is a lot of corrosion I might look into replacing. I did a quick google and it appears it's only a $100 part, and most likely a DIY job. Are they still on backorder everywhere?

Quick Reply: Diagnosis of Gremlin