Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Delete Rear Cats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Delete Rear Cats?

So I have an 05 f150 KR 4x4 and I'm bout to run true duals.. But I have 4 cats my question is can I delete the two rear fat cats on each side and leave the front cats with all 4 O2 sensor (won't have to take 2 upstream off) only thing I'd have to do is get the exhaust shop to tap holes for the rear O2 sensors
Old 02-19-2015, 04:18 PM

Also if Ford got rid of the 4 cat system anyway then why wouldn't taking all off and adding 2 Mag 94106 hi flows in place of the 4 old..
So essentially taking 4 off and replacing with just 2 new
Old 02-19-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am running that set up right now I am throwing no codes and I still pass the sniffer test (though the visual is a different matter)
Old 02-19-2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by izzysplace
I am running that set up right now I am throwing no codes and I still pass the sniffer test (though the visual is a different matter)
Yea I figured it out but thanks. Fortunately I don't have to worry about inspection in FL
Old 02-20-2015, 05:36 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Countryy55
Yea I figured it out but thanks. Fortunately I don't have to worry about inspection in FL
But you do have to be concerned with federal laws that supercede any state laws pertaining to smog type equipment installed on motorized vehicles.

At the very least, keep the cats, and be prepared to re-install them when you go to sell or trade in the truck. A dealer can take your truck in on trade, but they cannot legally sell it without the cats installed (or any federally mandated equipment). That can alter the trade in value.

If you sell it outright, even with an "as is" statement in the bill of sale, a buyer can come back and nail you for the price of the cats and their install. Happened to my son; he removed his (we live in Florida too). He sold the vehicle, and two weeks later was served papers by the buyers lawyer. The buyer was unable to pass a visual test in their state, and because my son broke a federal law by removing the cats, and then selling the vehicle, he was liable for it. He had two choices; pay for the part(s) and the install costs, or refund the purchase price. He bought the vehicle back.

Don't take my word for it; please check it out. Just trying to help you.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
But you do have to be concerned with federal laws that supercede any state laws pertaining to smog type equipment installed on motorized vehicles. At the very least, keep the cats, and be prepared to re-install them when you go to sell or trade in the truck. A dealer can take your truck in on trade, but they cannot legally sell it without the cats installed (or any federally mandated equipment). That can alter the trade in value. If you sell it outright, even with an "as is" statement in the bill of sale, a buyer can come back and nail you for the price of the cats and their install. Happened to my son; he removed his (we live in Florida too). He sold the vehicle, and two weeks later was served papers by the buyers lawyer. The buyer was unable to pass a visual test in their state, and because my son broke a federal law by removing the cats, and then selling the vehicle, he was liable for it. He had two choices; pay for the part(s) and the install costs, or refund the purchase price. He bought the vehicle back. Don't take my word for it; please check it out. Just trying to help you.
It's gonna have 2 cats on it just not 4.. Also I don't ever plan on gettin rid of the truck

Quick Reply: Delete Rear Cats?