Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Deisel engine swap question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Deisel engine swap question

I have a 2006 f150 lariat 4x4 5.4. I also have a mercedes OM606 diesel engine that I'd love to swap into the truck in place of the 5.4. Yes I understand it would be under powered, not easy, a pain to do etc... but I'm OK with that given how I use the truck. I'm very concerned with economy and I think OM606 is a great option (weight/power/efficiency/durability). I also understand the OBD, emissions and inspection concerns but again- not what I want to discuss here.

What I'm really interested in is to identify the electrical hurdles:
1: How much of the trucks oem wiring and control units can be saved. IE. Can the same transmission controller be used or will I have to go stand alone (4r75e trans)?
2: can the dash gauges be made to work?
3: Any other electrical interconnects that have to be worked out to make the install appear factory from the drivers seat?

Thanks in advance.
John

Last edited by jav1; 01-14-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

with enough money, time and determination, anything is possible... keep us posted!
Old 01-14-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

It is possible:
Ford f150 mercedes diesel 300td conversion part 2 repower very easy to do

Old 01-15-2016, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the replies but I'm looking for some technical specifics. For example: My understanding is that a tach signal is required for the air conditioner to work..and- there are engine parameters relayed to the transmission controller. What I'd like to understand is: if these types of signals are "relayed" from ecm to pcm or if they are direct wired. IE does the tach signal go just to the ecm and the ecm sends it the pcm/bcm OR does the tach signal get wired direct to all modules that need it (and they don't "talk" to each other).

Also- I know the key (chip) is recognized by both the instrument cluster and the ecm... so my presumption is that the starter relay is powered from the ecm- not from the key switch directly. These types of interactions are what I'd like to understand.

Right now- my plan is to keep all the factory f150 control modules and adapt the engine to accept and work with the ford sensors. That should keep most of the modules happy BUT- since there will be no coils, spark plugs, gasoline fuel injectors, egr or evap systems...I'm not sure how the ECU is going to react to these unexpected or missing readings. I know engine codes will be thrown but I don't know- for example if an engine code will put the transmission controller into a limp mode?
Old 01-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Believe Bosch is your sticking point between ECU-PCM and Cluster communication busses along the twisty wire network. A friendlier conversion system and wiring will probably be your answer. After you have found your electrical wire loom and ECU/pcm think hard about a 3" to 6" body lift when the motor is out of frame. This allows you room to experiment and move forward with things like exhaust ect having ample room to modify them. I would do a manual transmission myself to make the PCM thing a mute point there and redu the dash cluster to go manual gauges and tac. At some point you can then lower the body back to a more friendly look you choose or keep the outrageous look if you like it. I can't see this conversion as beneficial to a stock F150 and would just trick it out without things like a stock sound system or HVAC. I would pull the dash and make my changes. Then you can also weld in roll cages and a completion stock race truck look of stainless with seats that go with it. I guess my point is a good kit and a build to a rear engine dune buggy would be more fun and rewarding. Just my thought. Of course you could just crate in a high HP v-8 and be done. Lol. Good luck

Last edited by papa tiger; 01-15-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:19 PM

I thought about manual but the Mazda M5R2 may be questionable behind a diesel- especially if I up the power eventually which means I'd be looking at the ZF S542... and I'm not sure that will bolt right up to my (electronic) transfer case. Plus- there's a bunch of other parts required too- pedals, clutch, fly wheel, master and slave cylinders, lines, cross member and then theres the Lariat console which was never designed for rowing a stick.... it adds up.

I'm pretty sure I can use a programmer to alter the shift points on the 4r75w and change the gearing and be done.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:07 PM

It is fun to meet someone wit absolutely ridiculous reasoning for doing something and follows thru with a plan, a good plan, a plan that could work, a plan to stick to until it isn't working, a plan that is adjustable, a plan that includes a financing partner, a plan that, that partner keep silent !

Last edited by papa tiger; 01-16-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

What about the 6-spd manual out of the Super Duty? Wouldn't that hold up to the torque that you're looking for?

As far as wiring, I see a lot of multimeter work throughout the loom. The main thing is that you'll have to find out which sensors tie in with the ecm and tcm. A tuner like Livernois, MPT, or 5* would probably be able to help you decipher where you need to start.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:25 PM

I think going super duty would make things worse. I'm pretty sure the M5r2 will bolt up the f150 transfer case. The s542 from a 5.4 F250 "may" bolt up???. I'd be surprised if a super duty used the same transfer case as the f150 and that would just add to my problems i think.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:51 PM

http://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech/t...ons_manual.htm

Quick Reply: Deisel engine swap question