Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Dealer labor rate or is it stealer labor rate

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer labor rate or is it stealer labor rate

I took my wifes 2010 Edge in for it's FREE oil and filter and some minor warrenty work this AM. When I got the paperwork back it was of coarse no charge but I nearly dropped when I saw that the Customer Labor Rate shown on the RO is $89.50 an hour! Makes me feel glad I spent 20 years in the business and can fix my own stuff!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep i am glad i fix all my cars too, because that is highway robbery. I took my GMC Envoy in for a free oil change and of course they tried to say your in desperate need of this and that. They said you need an air induction cleaning. I laughed and said, what swap the air filter?, no thanks change the oil. They thought i would pay 60 bucks for an air filter. lol.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Yes it seems high as far as what they actually charge but it is about average. Do a google search for your areas average labor rate.

Also, just because they charge 89.50 per hour, does not mean that you will spend $45 for a .5hr labor time oil change. Most of the time, alot of smaller issues are flat rated at $19.95 for example for that same .5hr labor time oil change.

Don't feel too bad about $89 per hour. That is actually pretty decent. The labor rate here in SETX at Kinsel Mazda for my wifes 6 is $97.50 per hr.

Its all averages. Most independant shops have similar (w/i $10 per hr) labor rates, so the dealer charging an extra $10/hr. for a certain "higher level of car specific experitise" is well worth it IMHO.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

around me the dealerships are charging about 75 to 80 per hour. my uncle used to own a Ford dealership and my dad worked for him for 25 years and then started his own repair shop when the dealership was sold. my dad stays so busy because he only charges 45-50 per hour for a labor rate. and it makes it nice for me that i can just go down there and use the hoist to do whatever i need.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

one of the reasons, among others, is the dealers make less money than they ever have on a vehicle, so they are charging more and more of the overhead back to the service department, which in turn charges more to make their numbers.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BJV269SS
I took my wifes 2010 Edge in for it's FREE oil and filter and some minor warrenty work this AM. When I got the paperwork back it was of coarse no charge but I nearly dropped when I saw that the Customer Labor Rate shown on the RO is $89.50 an hour! Makes me feel glad I spent 20 years in the business and can fix my own stuff!
Yes sir It seems like a rip off, I bet they don't pay their employees that either.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

I know a few that charge $100+ an hour... No I do not go to them!

Trending Topics

Old 01-02-2010, 12:35 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the dealer I work for when I started 64.00 hr now $115.00hr and we are far from the highest in the area.. labor rates in all fields construction,plumbing,electrians all are in the 90/100 hr range.
and being a tech you need to be all of the above..

I sure most of you don.t understand how most techs at the dealer get paid it's not hourly for most..
(book time) they get payed for what they do and doing warranty repairs at warranty labor rates is pretty poor. example warranty time on camphasers 7.8 hours warranty/cash repair 11.0 hours so if it takes a tech 9.0 hours he loses 1.2 hours..

most dealers in my area have competative pricing for general things like brakes, oil changes, wipers, flushes are all at a lower labor rate. oil changes at our dealership is $15.95 with motorcraft filter and oil

general rule of thumb is you will be charged for flate rate only on mechanical repairs..

I have read alot of posts complaining about dealers and techs not fixing there products the first time, well fixing new products that change on a monthly platform makes it tuff to learn the product,just an example for a tech that has a communication problem with your f150, customer says hook up your machine it will tell you whats wrong (LOL) no such animal exsists guys. We may spend 3 hours diagnosising a problem call hotline and speak with an engeineer and get an answer like call me back let us know what you find so we can post it for others .. I speak for my self that it's very difficult to repair todays vehicles with technology changing so fast.

Sorry for the long post...

Last edited by seniorFORDtech; 01-02-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Never buy a German luxury car if you ever want to have any money left over. I came from a German car to Ford and I feel like I am stealing when ever I have service done or buy parts. German dealer labor rates are $140 per hour, and those are the cheap places.

I love my Ford.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah just do the work yourself get a Haynes manual and save the money. I love my ford too!!

Quick Reply: Dealer labor rate or is it stealer labor rate