Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

dash lights come on,tach and speedo quits and ac quits blowing cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dash lights come on,tach and speedo quits and ac quits blowing cold

i have a 06 with 5.4 . i will be going down road and it will beep like low fuel light sound then speedo & tach quits ,a/c quits blowing cold and all dash lights come on. also the radio stays on u have to turn off. have put new battery in and check with computer . anyone ever had this problem?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Dash going all crazy has always indicated a bad alternator for me in the past.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P0462 dtc

Have recently developed the same problem. Would love to know what it is. I thought it was just because the original battery needed replacing and I replaced it with an 850 CCA and the problem keeps popping up intermittently. When I cancel the CEL all returns to normal, until it decides to to act up again. Code P0462- Fuel level sensor circuit- low input. But seems that it may be a bad instrument cluster. The P0462 doesn't point directly to the problem, simply says "over there somewhere". Would appreciate any technical help.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Pirate Lover

sounds like the alternator going bad, might wanna have that checked out... although if the alternator is going bad it does not make sense that your radio would stay on.

does it stay on even after you open your door?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 AM

I also show the same fuel code . It has gotten worse over last few weeks. And yes radio stays on after door is opened. Any help would be appriciated
Old 07-01-2010, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by FX4Chick
sounds like the alternator going bad, might wanna have that checked out... although if the alternator is going bad it does not make sense that your radio would stay on.

does it stay on even after you open your door?
Nope, the alt. checks out just fine and I installed a new HEAVY DUTY batt. The DTC says "fuel level sensor circuit- low input", which means low voltage input. A search on another forum turned up one short thread on DTC P0462 and it turned out to be a bad instrument cluster. I asked the question on "Just Answer" and 1st got the answer that the most likely cause was bad fuel pump module. When stated that I was the original owner with 20k mi the tech then said the most common under those circumstances would be "bad instrument cluster". Have not had much luck with researching as the DTC P0462 seldom comes up and even in Fords (official) rundown it only mentions the "flsc- low input". My circumstances (what works, what doesn't) are slightly different than Budda's. Anyone have ANY experience with this fault, please enter in!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If you suspect it's a bad cluster, I'd swap a "test" cluster in first before I shell out the bucks for a used one off of Ebay and then have it flashed with the correct mileage. Or you can buy one from Ford with this already done for you. Better be sitting down though when they quote you this price.

I have two used STX clusters. They are "basic"; they have a speedo, and the standard guages (battery charge, fuel, temp, and oil pressure). I'd send you off one for free if you pay the shipping. You could install this cluster in your truck to see if the problem goes away. Your truck will start up, drive along; you'll just not have a tach, or any fancy temp, compass, or other displays in the cluster box, as the STX cluster did not have these.

It would be good for a test to verify if it is indeed the cluster. Shelling out the coin for a new or used cluster could be avoided if you find out the cluster is not at fault.

Let me know.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:34 AM

Default Cluster fault and possible cure

Budda- I MAY have found the cure for the cluster madness. Wish me luck. Give me a couple of days to confirm it, but so far it seems to be OK. I'll give it a couple days to make sure the "madness" doesn't return then I'll let all here know what it was if it successful.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Code 7
Budda- I MAY have found the cure for the cluster madness. Wish me luck. Give me a couple of days to confirm it, but so far it seems to be OK. I'll give it a couple days to make sure the "madness" doesn't return then I'll let all here know what it was if it successful.
Then I'll hold off on sending the cluster as a test.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:37 AM

Angry

Originally Posted by Bucko
Then I'll hold off on sending the cluster as a test.
Thanks so much Bucko for that offer. I am going out on a limb after a day of no problems to state what I think the problem was. (This is for Budda also) Those that know me from other forums that I am on know that I am a strong advocate of "resetting" fuses, relays and plugs. (anything not soldered in.) Have seen way too many maddening problems from pristine looking contacts that don't conduct as they should because of low amperage signals in tiny wires in todays cars.
I removed the cluster and examined the board with a magnifier to eliminate any chance of a cold solder joint or other problem. Absolutely none! When I re-installed I decided to take my own advice and shot a small amount of electrical contact cleaner and lube (Radio Shack) on the plugs at the top of the cluster and "reset" a number of times. The problem that had gotten even worse by the time I removed the cluster was now gone and even with driving over every pothole I could find and starting and shutting off many times, the problem has not returned, all is back to normal!
For Bubba: you do not have to remove the cluster, only the upper and lower trim pieces around the cluster and then you have access to the plugs.
My own advice has come back to benefit me- reset- reset- reset!
Thanks again Bucko.
"Roger"

Last edited by Code 7; 07-03-2010 at 01:40 AM.

Quick Reply: dash lights come on,tach and speedo quits and ac quits blowing cold