Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Dash Light Dimmer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dash Light Dimmer Problem

I installed some leds by tapping into the dimmer wire in the 4x4 switch (I have a 2wd so it is the wires behind the coin holder.) Now my dimmer for the instrument panel will not dim the lights. It will turn on and off the dome lights but will not dim. I unhooked the leds and the switch is still not working correctly. Is there some kind of transistor or something that could of burned out in the switch perhaps? If so how would I fix that or do I need a whole new switch. If anyone has any idea of the problem with the dimmer, please help. Thank You.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:45 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, personally I would have thought that if you've shorted it that you'd have no dash lights at all! As far as I can tell in all of the electrical diagrams, it's a simple potentiometer in the switch, as the attached says it sends a variable voltage. It sounds like you've connected a constant 12 volts somehow to the switch... You didn't somehow connect pins 3 and 4 together by mistake did you? Although in that case I wouldn't think you'd be able to turn them off at all. Unless you drew too much power from the dimmer switch but I'd think you'd burn it up altogether.

If you're positive there's nothing connected anymore, I'd take the dimmer switch out and measure the resistance. The common wire for the instrument panel lights is LB-RD, I just can't tell you off of memory which pins to test on your dimmer switch (disconnected of course). I can't find a diagram for it either unfortunately.

I've attached a few pictures, hopefully they might help you out.
Attached Thumbnails Dash Light Dimmer Problem-4x4switch.jpg   Dash Light Dimmer Problem-ic.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by homer; 01-04-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:03 PM

Thank you for your help. I am sure the 3 and 4 are not connected because I just tapped one wire that is behind that switch that is why I am confused at how doing that would of harmed the switch. I will have to order a volt meter and test the switch later this week or next week, as I don't have one, to see if it is actually getting power to the switch or not.

It is the instrument panel dimmer switch, next to where you turn on and off the headlights, that has the problem, I think, after I tapped that 4x4 switch wire. The instrument panel is full on bright when the lights are on and won't dim or turn off. I don't know anything about electrical work, I am trying to learn as I go. I am planning on getting an add a fuse to re-install the leds, this time.

Last edited by Tx_Ag; 01-04-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:15 PM

I tapped into this part:

Now this switch will not dim the instrument panel:

Rocker on the right wont dim the instrument panel

wire behind coin holder

If there needs any clarification. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tx_Ag
I tapped into this part:

Now this switch will not dim the instrument panel:

Rocker on the right wont dim the instrument panel

wire behind coin holder

If there needs any clarification. Thanks again.

That's the switch I meant too . I'll take mine off tonight and test it with an ohmmeter. If I walk you through the steps on how to test the switch, do you have an ohmmeter available?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:36 PM

No, I don't. I am going to have it checked out this weekend a buddy thinks he can help me find the problem. If he can't, I will try to find one and then get your help. I really appreciate it. I'll post back next week and let you know my progress. Fingers crossed. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Dash Light Dimmer Problem