Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

the dang K&N on the 07 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default the dang K&N on the 07 5.4L

ok so iv been reading and researching on CAI's and putting them on my 07 f150. now i do have one and it was on there but it was throwing codes. so i took it off and my buddie put it on since im in iraq and the problems went away. so he went and asked around a few shops back home if putting a tuner chip on with the intake you make it so it wouldnt throw codes any more and what did they say no it wont help the problem.........this is where im stuck i ve been getting so many different things from different people.......bottom line if what is fact whats the truth if i throw a tuner chip with the intake will this get rid of the problem..............07 5.4 screw ford said it was running lean.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:57 PM

I'll do my best here..From what I understand you can go up to a 3" CAI without a tune, ANYTHING over that and you will throw a lean code and will need a custom tune. I have an 07 with a 3" AF1 CAI and also have it tuned and have no problems. Actually, to get the most benefit from any CAI you should get some custom tunes for it. I presently have an XcalIII tuner with just the 'canned' tunes...waiting for the custom ones. I'm sure if I am wrong here someone will chime in. Keep your head down over there, retired Army here 27 yrs !
Old 02-19-2008, 10:05 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know about the exact size. I do know that most CAIs will throw lean codes and cause problems with the new oak processors. I HIGHLY reccomend a X-cal tuner with the CAI.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:17 AM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had same problem w/my K&N 63 Series, but if it weren't for those probs, I did LOVE the product. If you still have your receipt call up K&N. I did and they said that they would take it back (even tho I didn't buy it from them, but bought it from my local JEGS store). They said that they didn't care that it was installed or how many miles it had it on. They said they would take it back w/no problem since it was giving me problems.

I called up JEGS, and they actually said the same thing (that they would take it back, no problem since I still had the receipt). So just orderd up my 3.0" AF1 from Troyer's last week, installed it on Saturday along with the Roush SI/DO Off Road Exhaust (those two together are an AWESOME team!! ), and returned my K&N to JEGS yesterday and got my money back no problem, no questions asked really.

Now just waiting another month for my custom tunes from Troyers to arrive for my XCALIII that they've already sent me, but I haven't used it as I don't care to try out the canned tunes, so I'll just wait a few more weeks and get the real things. I want my first "WOW" factor experience w/my tunes to be like a virgin popping his cherry w/Heidi Kloom as oppossed to Hillary Clinton...yeah, in both situation ur gettin some poonanny, but in the first scenario it is gonna me mind-blowing, while in the other situation you may walk away confused and scarred for life! Okay, okay, maybe that's not a good analogy...

And after all that, I'll be all done performance wise in modding my truck...atleast that's the little lie that I keep telling myself .

Last edited by dre23; 02-20-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:02 AM

How do you like the Roush set up and how loud is it? I can't make my mind up between the Roush and the Magnaflows.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:36 AM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Originally Posted by JohnC
How do you like the Roush set up and how loud is it? I can't make my mind up between the Roush and the Magnaflows.
John, I absolutely LOVE IT. It is loud when you want or need it to be and quite honestly can be downright quiet when cruising on the highway. It has a deep, 'rumbly' tone that I just simply can't explain. I don't like to bash companies, but just give my personal opinion of my own personal experience. On Sat. when I put on this Roush, I took of my Flowmasters setup, and they did not get the joking moniker "Slowmaster" for nothing it is sad to say. My low end and highway passing torque power was pretty much gone...it was probably 2 steps down from my stock exhaust. BUT, it just sounded so Wonderful, and if it weren't for that single fact (and that I didn't have the $$$ to get something else at the time, it would have been gone). Yeah, the Flows sounded awesome, but performance wise, it just killed me.

But now baby, my torque is back and to the 10th power...I kid you not!! Not only is the sound just as good, just as loud, and have experienced NO DRONE, I can hit the gas and my head slams back into the headrest (okay, that's a lil bit of an exaggeration but it is still VERY noticeable). I debated probably for 3-4 months over who to go w/between the Maggies or the Roush like yourself, and while I saw TONS of positive comments for both products, I saw a few (and by a few, I mean very, very few) negative comments in regards to some of the Magnaflow kits, where w/the Roush exhaust, I searched high and low on many different F-150 boards and I can't recall reading one single negative comment from someone who had actually had it installed on their truck.

But with that being said, if I were to give Roush a 10 I would have to give Magnaflow a 9.75. I don't think that you can go wrong either way. I don't see what model F150 you have, but I've got the SCrew w/6.5' bed and Magnaflow says that they don't make a kit that fits this truck setup, although on some other forums, their were members who did some addt'l welding and moddification to the magnaflow kit to make it fit the SCrew w/the 6.5' bed.

Alright it's 2:35a.m. here and I'm beginning to talk too much as usual. Good night to all & God bless!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback on your exhaust and I am glad you are happy with it. My 08 F150 is a SCrew Lariat 5.4 with the 5.5' bed. When I get the Roush or Whipple supercharger on I will have an exhaust installed. I like the fact thet the Roush has no "drone". My Porsche aftermarket exhaust drone is awful. Very good write up!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:25 PM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Thank you and thank you.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 AM

thanks a lot guy like i said before its already off the truck and i was thinking about going with a af1 anyway and a xcal 2 is there a dif betwen the 2 and 3 this is the f5rst 5 heard of the xcal3
Old 02-21-2008, 08:04 AM

sg****son I have the X3 and it allows for 3 stock "canned" tunes and 3 custom tunes. The X2 from my understanding allows for 3 custom tunes only. Somebody correct me if I am wrong please.

Quick Reply: the dang K&N on the 07 5.4L