Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Damn brake dust!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:32 AM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Damn brake dust!

It seems like that not even after washing my truck 2 weeks ago i already have a great deal of brake dust on my front wheels. I dont drive much and im not hard on my brakes but its always making my wheels look dirty! I was talking to a guy at work and he said that when i need a brake job, to check out some "ceramic" brake pads. He said they were a higher priced brake pad but that they wouldnt leave all the dust that the regular ones do. Anyone heard of these or had any experience with these?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

my cousin put them on his dodge and his wifes car and he says no dust at all, or at leat not near as much as the semi-metalic pads, he says its worth the extra money
Old 03-13-2009, 10:32 AM
cwcw

I also read online that they would outlast the metallic mad pads also, is this true?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have those Kleen Wheels? i'm thinking about getting a set of those because I have the same problem

http://www.kleenwheels.com/
Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have the "ceramic" brake pads on my 2000 Nissan frontier, in my experience they do not last longer then normal semi metallic brakes. I am now on my second set of them.
They do cut way down on the break dust my rims use to get black and I even have etchings in the rims from the break dust. I still get some dust on them but no where like they use to be.

I have heard but not seen yet that they are harder on the rotors.I was also told they displace heat better when trying to stop heavy loads or hard stopping.

I pull a large for the Nissan flat bed style trailer (61/2" wide by 12" long) with a 900 LB ATV and the truck does stop well Whit all that weight behind it, I have not had to replace the rotors yet but will see
Old 03-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Truck & Car Hobbyist

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree. I switched to ceramic pads and I have no dust on my wheels. Im so happy that I dont have to clean my front wheels every morning now. LOL.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try the Wheel/Rim sealer from Obsessive Detail...it seals the rims & makes the brake dust either blow off or rinse off very easily. No more pitting & sticking, it works really really well & Justin is fantastic to deal with...best customer service ever.

http://www.obsessivedetail.com/about.html
Old 03-13-2009, 03:25 PM
cwcw

Originally Posted by Mustanger
Try the Wheel/Rim sealer from Obsessive Detail...it seals the rims & makes the brake dust either blow off or rinse off very easily. No more pitting & sticking, it works really really well & Justin is fantastic to deal with...best customer service ever.

http://www.obsessivedetail.com/about.html
Is that their product? I searched Google for Wheel Seal and only real wheel seals came up, not this product. Can i find it in a store or do i have to order from them?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:34 PM
07 F-150 4.6L XLT 4X4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bwulff9
Does anyone have those Kleen Wheels? i'm thinking about getting a set of those because I have the same problem

http://www.kleenwheels.com/
Kleenwheels can be bad if you do a lot of braking, they don't allow a whole lot of air in so the brakes can get rather warm at times. Know one guy who warped rotors from heat using those.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen something like them in styling truck or JC whitney thye also have a color so you can match your truck.

I checked out the above website and found it to be litle help

Quick Reply: Damn brake dust!