Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

cv axle problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts
Default cv axle problem

im so pissed... went to replace my passenger side wheelbearing .. installed it etc.. went to tighten the 13 mm axle nut and it snapped off... so i went to advance bought a cv axle.... unbolted the two LCA bolts unbolted shock from LCA slid out old cv shaft installed new.... put it back together and it spun fine by hand when i didnt have the LCA bolted up as soon as i bolt the LCA it binds and wont spin it so i unbolted it and redid everything.. still same issue, ive read previously about some axles being too long?

Last edited by grss429; 03-11-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

I'm confused the way your post reads... You changed the wheel bearing or the IWE? If everything is back together and the engine isn't running, it's supposed to turn the differential. It only releases when there is vacuum to the IWE.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
I'm confused the way your post reads... You changed the wheel bearing or the IWE? If everything is back together and the engine isn't running, it's supposed to turn the differential. It only releases when there is vacuum to the IWE.

I repaces the wheel bearing, i know how the system works, im saying i cant turn the passenger side wheel at all with the new cv axle, driver side spins fine.

Is there a aftermarket brand new try? New mc axle is like 250$

Last edited by grss429; 03-11-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by grss429
I repaces the wheel bearing, i know how the system works, im saying i cant turn the passenger side wheel at all with the new cv axle, driver side spins fine.

Is there a aftermarket brand new try? New mc axle is like 250$
Did you over tighten the nut on the cv shaft and damage the hub bearing?

Start the truck with the wheel off the ground in 2wd and see if it unlocks and spins freely.. The cv should not move with the truck running at all in 2wd..

I'm a little confused as well, it sounds like you removed the 2 bolts that hold the lower control arm and kept the ball joints connected.. Your going to need a camber alignment if you did this.. You may have the lower control arm slightly crooked which could cause a bind with the IWE.
You should have just separated the ball joint from the upper control arm to let knuckle lay down enough to remove the cv. It's much easier and faster this way.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Especial86
Did you over tighten the nut on the cv shaft and damage the hub bearing?

Start the truck with the wheel off the ground in 2wd and see if it unlocks and spins freely.. The cv should not move with the truck running at all in 2wd..

I'm a little confused as well, it sounds like you removed the 2 bolts that hold the lower control arm and kept the ball joints connected.. Your going to need a camber alignment if you did this.. You may have the lower control arm slightly crooked which could cause a bind with the IWE.
You should have just separated the ball joint from the upper control arm to let knuckle lay down enough to remove the cv. It's much easier and faster this way.
Wheel bearing is fine, i didnt oveer tighten it, it only takes 20 foot pounds which isnt alot.., the reason i took the lower contorl arm bolts out is cause im adding camber bolts... i didnt intend to replace the cv axle... i was also replacing that wheek bearing thats why the cv axle nut was off..

I added my camber bolte and wheel bearing, put it all together went to tighten the factory cv and the threads snapped off.

Im a mechanic and work at a dealership, so i know and planned on doing a alignment
Old 03-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Weird, I figured the OP was a writer.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by grss429
Wheel bearing is fine, i didnt oveer tighten it, it only takes 20 foot pounds which isnt alot.., the reason i took the lower contorl arm bolts out is cause im adding camber bolts... i didnt intend to replace the cv axle... i was also replacing that wheek bearing thats why the cv axle nut was off..

I added my camber bolte and wheel bearing, put it all together went to tighten the factory cv and the threads snapped off.

Im a mechanic and work at a dealership, so i know and planned on doing a alignment
Did you check the length of the cv shaft against the busted one?
Do you have a lift kit or spacer kit?
Why are you adding camber bolts?
There could be a cv shaft shim adaptor, and if your cv shaft for whatever reason is too long you could always ditch the adaptor if there is one..
It does sound like somethings fitting too tight, or you roached the bearing when you broke the cv shaft.
Otherwise I'd advise you to strip that side down and put it back together, you may have a bad IWE..
Old 03-11-2016, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Especial86
Did you check the length of the cv shaft against the busted one?
Do you have a lift kit or spacer kit?
Why are you adding camber bolts?
There could be a cv shaft shim adaptor, and if your cv shaft for whatever reason is too long you could always ditch the adaptor if there is one..
It does sound like somethings fitting too tight, or you roached the bearing when you broke the cv shaft.
Otherwise I'd advise you to strip that side down and put it back together, you may have a bad IWE..
Well finally found the issue it's a mix of things.

went to autozone and got a new cv axle.... measured it with the old one it is indeed a HAIR i mean **** hair bigger, but not so much that it would cause a problem, I have a spacer lift kit on so.... when up in the air the upper control arms bottom out on the spring, the aftermarket cv axles aren't meant to turn with that much angle vs the OEM cv axle has a different "cage"/ball bearing setup. once i centered up the camber/caster and put it on the ground it doesn't bind at all.. but if it's on the lift the one side will not spin. due to the angle but i still dont feel safe with it cause my upper control arms dont have much room to travel anyways.. so if i go 4wheeling i'm afraid it will find up. but i can drive it now and use 4wd if i have to

in the future i'm going to buy a OEM axle
Old 03-12-2016, 07:58 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Do you have a leveling kit and if so what size?
Old 03-12-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by bourgeois1269
Do you have a leveling kit and if so what size?
He says he does in his previous post..

Quick Reply: cv axle problem