Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cutting the Cats off

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting the Cats off

Will cutting my cats of and straight piping from the manifolds back do anything to help gas mileage and make the truck louder. I know putting headers would be the best thing for me to do but i dont have the cash to do that mod at this time.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:24 PM

It may help, but it won't be that simple. It will throw a check light and unless you rework the sensors properly you may get worse milage. They make sensor replacements that give a set reading instead of a real time job. Strait from the man will make the truck crazy loud, if you get pulled over and they check the truck, your looking at a big time ticket for not having cats.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:09 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

the sensors can be fixed via tuning, but will they actually help with fuel mileage? No. You have an already very heavy truck with about 400lbs of 4x4 stuff on it, that sure isnt helping either. If you want magically delicious gas mileage, get a focus.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:48 PM
My girlfriend is white.

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
the sensors can be fixed via tuning, but will they actually help with fuel mileage? No.
Ummmm yes it will. My brother did this to his truck and he got 2 mpg better.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 PM
My girlfriend is white.

Also he bought an Edge Tuner.... that helped too.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:38 PM

dude, the worst thing you could do is remove the cats. for one, you will never pass a state inspection especially if florida requires obd II inspections. that requires hooking your truck to a diagnostics computer and if any codes show up, which all most certainly will,you will fail inspection. not so sure about florida laws but nc and many other states require obd II.you could also do serious damage to the engine like burning an exhuast valve. headers would be better but you will not see any hp gains unless you run wide open all the time.you will also lose some bottom end torque because off less back pressure. i know it's your truck but just think about it.

Last edited by offthehook; 07-30-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 PM
none.

Originally Posted by offthehook
dude, the worst thing you could do is remove the cats. for one, you will never pass a state inspection especially if florida requires obd II inspections. that requires hooking your truck to a diagnostics computer and if any codes show up, which all most certainly will,you will fail inspection. not so sure about florida laws but nc and many other states require obd II.you could also do serious damage to the engine like burning an exhuast valve. headers would be better but you will not see any hp gains unless you run wide open all the time.you will also lose some bottom end torque because off less back pressure. i know it's your truck but just think about it.
florida abolished ALL emissions inspections about eight years ago.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 PM
none.

Originally Posted by CaptainWaifers
Ummmm yes it will. My brother did this to his truck and he got 2 mpg better.
without properly tuning the EEC, which an Edge Tuner does not do, the HEGO processing will be skewed and the engine will not run properly, just because it runs or "gets better mileage" does not mean that it runs properly.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:29 PM
My girlfriend is white.

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
without properly tuning the EEC, which an Edge Tuner does not do, the HEGO processing will be skewed and the engine will not run properly, just because it runs or "gets better mileage" does not mean that it runs properly.
Well... I didn't say he used the Edge Tuner to adjust the EEC did I??

I'm not sure what he did after cutting his cats off all I know is he got more power and MPG went up. I'm sure he had a buddy adjust his EEC. A little while later he bought a Edge Tuner.

He is VERY happy he did this mod and he loves his Edge Tuner which furthered his MPG and gave more performance.

I will be more clear next time so those that must will not try to read things into a subject that were not said.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:33 PM
none.

Originally Posted by CaptainWaifers
Well... I didn't say he used the Edge Tuner to adjust the EEC did I??

I'm not sure what he did after cutting his cats off all I know is he got more power and MPG went up. I'm sure he had a buddy adjust his EEC. A little while later he bought a Edge Tuner.

He is VERY happy he did this mod and he loves his Edge Tuner which furthered his MPG and gave more performance.

I will be more clear next time so those that must will not try to read things into a subject that were not said.
thats what the Edge Tuner does, it makes adjustments to the EEC's strategy. If he were to program the EEC via flashtuner, the Edge would override any actual settings and adjustments. So, I did not read into a subject that was not discussed, I made an inference based on factual data and pre-existing conditions of Ford EEC strategy and programming.

Quick Reply: Cutting the Cats off