Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Custom VS Canned Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Custom VS Canned Tunes

Hey everybody,

So I'm in the market for a tuner [yeah, I know, use the search], but I've already decided on an SCT Livewire TS. The thing is, would a custom tune really be noticeably better than a canned one if I only have a custom built cat-back dual exhaust [Lightning exit, with a Flowmaster Super 10], and the Gotts mod with a K&N Filter?

I know that custom tunes are essential for more drastic mods like cams, throttle body, turbo, etc. - so I would get a custom tune in the far future when there's money to tackle the dream mods. But for now, with only modified intake and exhaust, would I notice a difference between canned and custom? It's my understanding that newer canned tunes have adjustable parameters for aftermarket intake and exhaust anyway.

Thanks,

Dylan

PS - If anyone knows, are there parameters that are adjusted as part of a custom tune that can't be adjusted manually in a canned tune?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer custom tunes over "canned" tunes because its done just for your vehicle. Its not a one size fits all, but made just for your vehicle.

That being said, the custom tune is only as good as the guy doing it. If you have crappy tuners in your area, then expect a crappy tune.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by StalkerStang
That being said, the custom tune is only as good as the guy doing it. If you have crappy tuners in your area, then expect a crappy tune.
Don't have anything in the area, actually. Was thinking about getting a tuner from Stage 3, because they offer "lifetime tunes" from 5 Star Tuning.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyBlurst

Don't have anything in the area, actually. Was thinking about getting a tuner from Stage 3, because they offer "lifetime tunes" from 5 Star Tuning.
I was in the same boat. I have the sf3 from sct and ran the canned tunes for awhile. Ordered a 93 performance tune and an 87 from 5 star and haven't even tried the 87 yet because the 93 is fantastic. I only have exhaust and an intake as well but it really wakes up the motor and the biggest thing I've noticed that I tell everyone is the throttle response is much better.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

I went with the SCT from Stage 3 & Custom tunes, Very Happy
The initial canned tune was so much better then the Factory setup
For custom tunes I went w/87/89 & 93 Performance
Then 87 & 89 tow

I'm running the 89 performance right now & its great
I'm not into tire burning etc but shifting is better, more power etc
Will be trying the 93 once warm weather is here
I've had my truck 9 years & its all stock, so I'm used to the way it used to respond
I think Ford is missing the boat on the poor stock tune of these trucks
Old 01-04-2015, 04:43 PM

Do they take actual data logs from your vehicle when they make your tune?
Old 01-04-2015, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by StalkerStang
Do they take actual data logs from your vehicle when they make your tune?
Apparently you fill out a detailed form, and they build the tune based on the information you provide.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:58 PM

Hey, Scuba_Dave, did you notice a big difference between the canned and custom tunes?
Old 01-04-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by BillyBlurst
Apparently you fill out a detailed form, and they build the tune based on the information you provide.
Hmmm, not all that thrilled about that approach. Just makes me uneasy knowing that its not based off of what 'my' truck is doing.

A lot of the tuners that do mail-order tuning at least provide you with an initial tune, then you data-log with it and resend it back for a finalized tune. Most mail-order tuning that I have looked into in the Mustang world offers this type of service.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So I have the SCT TS and I don't remember it having canned tunes did I not do something right?

Quick Reply: Custom VS Canned Tunes