Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Custom Retrofit Project from Sick HIDS (with Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Retrofit Project from Sick HIDS (with Pics!)

I finally got some time in between traveling to install my custom retrofit HIDs from Sick HIDs. They are "Valeo" style projectors, E55 shrouds, clear reflectors, CCFLs, and painted to match copper metallic, . I went with CCFLs around the projector, the parking light housing, and the large one for headlight housing.

For form, I really like the way they turned out, especially with the PTM. For function, I can't believe the difference from stock halogens to projector HIDs. It's literally like night and day.

Brian at Sick HIDs is awesome to work with. He helped with my decisions throughout the process to make sure I got the custom job that was best for me. He is very professional with great communication and a great product. I highly recommend him for anyone thinking of getting a custom retrofit project.

The truck was dirty, but I took some photos anyway. Hopefully I can clean her up a bit this weekend and get some more pics.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

That looks awesome! You had SickHID's do the work for you? Would you be against letting us in on an approx cost of labor? I did my own, and as big of a PITA as that was, I'm open to alternatives.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I love the work these guys do. The paint, halos and installation always turn out awesome from pics I see. Yours looks friggin amazing. I just wish they would use better projectors than the Valeos.

I believe their price starts at around $600 and goes up as you add things like paint, halos, etc.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

This should be retitled. HIDs: Doing it correctly.

Not only do they look good, you won't blind oncoming traffic.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy hell that is sexy.... I wish I had the money to drop on those.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM

Thanks for all the compliments!

Originally Posted by StuckZipper
That looks awesome! You had SickHID's do the work for you? Would you be against letting us in on an approx cost of labor? I did my own, and as big of a PITA as that was, I'm open to alternatives.
My base retro-fit was $400 + shipping, but recently I believe he dropped the base to $350. That doesn't include the stock headlights. I bought some headlights from the forum here for $80 and had them shipped directly to Sick HIDs, but he said he could provide new ones for $150. On top of the base project, I added CCFLs around the headlight and parking light housings, E55 shrouds, and the PTM. He has a price list for these options plus anything else you want like lighted shroud vents, LEDs, etc, etc. The good thing is that he gave me some great discounts on the add-ons because I ordered multiple things. When I first started, I was cringing at spending this kind of money on headlights, but now that it is said and done, I wouldn't change a thing. If you are going to spend $400 to get them done, you might as well spend a little extra to make the headlights in your own preferable style. Brian did a great job telling me about different options and showing my lights in progress. I made a few changes here and there during the process after seeing what they would look like.

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
I love the work these guys do. The paint, halos and installation always turn out awesome from pics I see. Yours looks friggin amazing. I just wish they would use better projectors than the Valeos.
Before he started the project, I asked Brian about the Valeo vs. FX-R projectors and this was the reply:
The FX-Rs are great projectors, but usually require a fair amount of modification & fine tuning for proper fitment, alignment & performance (which generally adds about $200 to a retro-fit). I'm currently using a "Valeo" style retro-projector that is designed a bit more compact & application friendly for most retro-fits regardless of application while still accepting standard shrouds (this is also why my prices are "fairly" reasonable) and even some of the smallest motorcycle headlights

Originally Posted by gone postal
This should be retitled. HIDs: Doing it correctly.

Not only do they look good, you won't blind oncoming traffic.
I was testing last night and I love the way the projectors have the cut-off lines. I could see the road like it was light outside, but when I drove behind another vehicle either from behind or oncoming from the other lane, I noticed that it didn't light up the inside of the car at all. The lights are so bright, I kept expecting to get flashed by other drivers, but then I realized that these lights have way less glare than even normal halogens!

Last edited by eghead; 05-23-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: update price info
Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
CCDA_10

Looks sweet!! Im probably gonna do this to mine at the end if the summer.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

I just did mine last night, and they are amazing. I did the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors with Apollo shrouds. Have a look at the final product:

I have aimed the HL's since then, so they are level and perfect now. I'll take night time pics and post them tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by StuckZipper
I just did mine last night, and they are amazing. I did the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors with Apollo shrouds.
Looks great!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks great both of you! StuckZipper make sure the driver's side bulb is seated properly. The hotspot seems to be off or missing.

Quick Reply: Custom Retrofit Project from Sick HIDS (with Pics!)