Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Custom Exhaust Design

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Custom Exhaust Design

I recently got the new Flowmaster Outlaw System that came out for our trucks in May. It's a SI/DO catback system that has the option of running the duels straight out the back or at 45° behind the rear wheels. I want something a little more custom. I was thinking about doing a duel "lightning" setup where I would have a pipe run out each side behind the cab and in front of the rear wheels. I talked to a custom muffler shop and they said it could be done no problem. Do any of you guys have this type of setup or know of anyone who does and can you please post pictures?

Another setup I recently saw was this one.

http://m.f150online.com/forums/showt...998&styleid=17

Does anyone run a setup like this on our model year? Which one do you think would be easier and less likely to run into problems?

I was also thinking about putting new high flow cats and maybe headers as my truck has 150k and possible exhaust leaks at the manifolds.

I know I have a lot of questions but any advice and opinions would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wanted to do something similar and the guy at my local muffler shop explained how it wouldn't look like the Lightning because it has a body kit that fills in the gap created by running the exhaust under the frame rails. ( I had another guy tell me "yeah, no problem" as well.). This is what I went with:
Attached Thumbnails Custom Exhaust Design-image-3101549153.jpg   Custom Exhaust Design-image-154149702.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Please forgive how dirty it is. 😣
Old 06-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

I did the single "Lightning" style with a 4.5"x6.5" Banks tip
Old 06-17-2014, 10:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Watch out for rocks if you plan on doing on both sides.

Ok who ever told you that they could run your exaust out both sides was nuts. (yes it "CAN" be done but would look aweful and kill your clearance) My truck has a GIANT gas tank on the drivers side and will hang down lower than the frame rail. which is way too low expecially if you take your truck off road at all. If you run it on the open side you cant cut across your driveline either. I built mine myself and have headers go into the cats and cut over jsut like the normal exhaust but but instead of a y pipe I put an X pipe and ran the two 2.5 inch pipes through two glass packs and then 45ed them out in front of my rear tire with two 3 inch tips on it. right before your axle your frame starts going up so when you look under my truck all you see is frame rail nothing hanging down. I'll post some pics of underneath my truck when i get a chance but this is the side view. But one big one or two out the passengers side is the they only way id suggest doing it if your going in front of the axle. Dual out the back wouldnt be an issue either. There is a lot of stuff in the way on the drivers side while the passengers side is wide open for whatever you please, not to mention exhaust mounts that are already there from the factory.
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

... that resized pic looks aweful i'll take a better one when i get home. My tires look way out of p0rportion from the rest of the truck and the exhaust looks like its touchin the tire. Oh and I looke at that raptor exhaust mine is literally identical other than its in front of the axle... which leaves you all that space to put a bigger spare tire. thats why i put it in front of my rear axle so i could put a spare 35" under there. you cant do that with even the stock exhausts or you will have a melted hole in your spare.

Last edited by Trent W; 06-17-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. The reason I wanted the duel lightning style is because I have black running boards and black wheels. My tips are going to be black and I thought they would fill the gap nicely. I wasn't worried about the gap caused by the frame rail too much as I thought the running boards would blend it in a little.

Custom Exhaust Design-forumrunner_20140618_195422.jpg

Custom Exhaust Design-forumrunner_20140618_195433.jpg

And I also apologize for my truck being so dirty. The guy I took it to crawled under my truck and said he could do. I knew the tank would cause some problems but do you think he would try and run the pipe in between the frame and the body? There is some room there but I don't know if heat would be a smart thing to have there. I might just have to go with the raptor exhaust if there is no possible way to do the dual lightning. I'm just weird about having my truck symmetric.

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust Design