Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Couple Questions about new (to me) 06

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Couple Questions about new (to me) 06

I am the new owner of a 2006 XLT SuperCrew, and every time i start the truck it beeps at me for the first 3-4 minutes. The beeping consists of 6-8 quick beeps, then a pause, then 6-8 more, repeat. This lasts for 3-4 minutes then goes away for the duration of the trip. There are no indicator lights on the instrument panel. And it makes no difference if the driver, or passenger seat belts are bucked. I have seen the seat belt indicator on the panel light up, so i do know that the light works.

The only other problem is that the rear sliding glass does not operate, I have not had the time to look at it in depth, but i wanted to make sure that this wasn't a common problem before i starting troubleshooting.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.,
Happy New Truck!

During the time it's doing the "beeping" , is there any kind of message in the odometer window? (like "door ajar" )

there is the left your headlights on beep, the you left your keys in the ignition beep, the seatbelt beep, the lo-fuel beep, the back-up alarm beep, I may have forgot one....... anyhow, they all sound a little different.

which one does the problem beep sound like?

Bob the Fool
Old 02-06-2010, 01:22 PM

It only happens when the car is moving. It is not the seat belt warning, that is working fine. This beeping is about half the speed of the seat belt warning.

The mini message center shows the ambient temp, direction, and mileage which i assume is normal.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:35 PM

you could try stopping at a larger auto parts store and asking if they can check the codes.. most do this free and it takes just a few minutes.

maybe this will tell you something.... not sure.

Does anyone else know if re-setting the electronics by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes might help?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 AM

I counted the beeps today.

Its 5 slow beeps, then a pause. It repeats this 5 times. After some googleing, it looks like it is an issue with SRS.

Should my XLT have a pasenger airbag indicator light above the radio? My manual isn't clear on what options my XLT has. I have never seen any lights about the passenger airbag, and I do know for certain that i do not have the manual key switch to disable the passenger airbag.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 AM

Default beeping?

You should have a light right above your head unit. It should light up yellow, also when this is going on is there something in your passanger seat. I know when I got my XLT I would toss my bag from the FD in the seat and it was enought to make the seat belt light and alarm go off...

just my 2 cents... hope it helps
Old 02-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by KY_FF_EMT
You should have a light right above your head unit. It should light up yellow, also when this is going on is there something in your passanger seat. I know when I got my XLT I would toss my bag from the FD in the seat and it was enought to make the seat belt light and alarm go off...

just my 2 cents... hope it helps

the passenger seat has a sensor to detect the weight of the person sitting in the seat. the idea behind this is to disable the air bag if a child is in the passenger seat. when the passenger air bag is disabled, the light above the radio is on. As mentioned by KY_FF_EMT, something like a brief case or a couple bags of groceries also trips the airbag disarm thing.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the response. The light above the radio never comes on, whether the seat is occupied or empty. At least I know where to start.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM

the airbag light in question should come on briefly on start-up ( like all the dash warning lights). If it doesn't it may be a burned out bulb. - or -

if anyone has ever removed the trim to service the radio or heat controls the airbag light would have had to be unplugged. it would be very easy to forget to plug it back in on re-assembly.

to trigger the airbag disable thingy, the person/item in the passenger seat must weigh (guessing) 40# to 100#. again, guessing based on the weight of a small to medium sized child. lightweight items won't trigger the sensor.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:53 PM

It turns out the connector for the light was totally broken. I spliced in a molex connector replaced the 5a fuse (the wires broke off the connector and shorted out).

So if the seat is empty there is no light, if the seat has a normal sized adult there is no light, but if there is something weighing in the range of a child the light should come on. Is that correct?

Quick Reply: Couple Questions about new (to me) 06