Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cost to change plugs and coils

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost to change plugs and coils

So i have an 06 5.4l 3v and im having some issues with studdering. Thanks to this forum ive narrowed it down to either plugs or coils, or maybe both. I went to my local mechanic who from what i have seen is very honest. He quoted me about $1000 to change all the plugs and coils. Now my questions are:

1- Do I need to change all the plugs and coils. He said he didnt think a diagnostic test on the computer would determine which plug was misfiring because my check engine light has not come on. He suggested at least changing the coils.

2- Is that price reasonable. Seems high to me but I am in Northern Jersey.

Another mechanic that im not too familiar with mentioned that you can do a Mod 6 and from that you could determine which plug was misfiring. He quoted me $500 to diagnose and change 1 plug and 1 coil. Yikes.

Any help would be great. My truck has 70k miles on it.

Thanks
Rob
Old 10-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Read the spark plug "sticky" at the top of this forum. This dedicated thread will address the issues (price, spark plug to use, etc) that you'll want to know. Most have paid almost twice the price you've been quoted for all plugs and COPS (coil over plugs).

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 10-03-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:30 PM

I did look though that sticky but out of the 250+ pages i was having trouble finding and answer to my questions. Most of the post are about how to remove and change plugs and what tools to use. If you could direct to me to a page that would and answer my questions that would be very helpful. Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well coils are 50 dollars apiece and I'm thinking champion 1 piece plugs are 14 but I'm not certain. So that would be around 450 for labor so that's not to bad. If you go that route I would buy all the coils and put them on your self because I would say that is most likely your problem. You just have to unhook 1 wire and take a 7mm bolt out and that's all you do. If that doesn't fix it then let him change the plugs. When I had missfire problems I bought 4 coils and changed all the ones on bank 1 and when that didn't fix it I switch them to bank two.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 PM

Turkey,
Thanks for the input. I will try that.

Rob
Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Buy the COPs from Global, same quality at a much lower cost. Then get Motorcraft revised plugs (SP 515) and coat the shank with anti-seize. You can still have your mech change them, but it should only be a labor charge and shouldn't cost anywhere close to what he is quoting now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...ht_2031wt_1165
Old 10-03-2011, 05:15 PM

I would just have all plugs changed if you are doing 1. Also if there is nothing wrong with any of the COPS then no need to change them.

Here was my cost, did labor myself.

- Motorcraft SP515 = $70 ($7.99 per at O'rielly or you can also do ROCKAUTO)

- Antisieze - $3

- Lisle Tool = $70 (From Rockauto.. Did not need afterall and returned it)

-Dielectric grease = $2

Total before return was $145, but after return was $75
Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 PM

I went with the Champion 1 piece plugs and from what i read if you like misfires you will more than likely get them with Champion. Well im a Champion spark plug user and i have replaced all my plugs and coils and i still have a misfire at idle. Im looking to replace them for Motorcraft SP507 or 509's
Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Default cost to change plugs/coil packs

Originally Posted by RobNJ
So i have an 06 5.4l 3v and im having some issues with studdering. Thanks to this forum ive narrowed it down to either plugs or coils, or maybe both. I went to my local mechanic who from what i have seen is very honest. He quoted me about $1000 to change all the plugs and coils. Now my questions are:

1- Do I need to change all the plugs and coils. He said he didnt think a diagnostic test on the computer would determine which plug was misfiring because my check engine light has not come on. He suggested at least changing the coils.

2- Is that price reasonable. Seems high to me but I am in Northern Jersey.

Another mechanic that im not too familiar with mentioned that you can do a Mod 6 and from that you could determine which plug was misfiring. He quoted me $500 to diagnose and change 1 plug and 1 coil. Yikes.

Any help would be great. My truck has 70k miles on it.

Thanks
Rob
Hi, Rob...
Just had mine done. I, TOO, had a quote of $1000 but got all plugs/coil packs changed for $450. It's not specialized work, so call around. I recommend changing all the coils and plugs while he's under there.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RobNJ

Thanks
Rob

Rob, I was quoted the same from the dealership where I have the majority of my work done. BUT that thousand bucks I was told was on the high side if ALL the spark plugs broke. I got out of there with the 100,000 mile maintenance package and the plugs changed(none broke) for 645.

Quick Reply: Cost to change plugs and coils