Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cooling fan problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan problems

Hi guys,
I have a 2004 F-150 4x4 5.4. I have two problems I need some help with. When I start my truck first thing in the morning I noticed that my cooling fan is speed is going up and down. My truck is not idling rough and my rpm are not going up in the process. I don't really notice it once the truck has been on the road and I am stopped at a light. It never did this before so I know it is not normal.

#2 It is starting to get cold now (-5 ) When I start the truck in the morning I get a terrible noise coming from the front wheel well, its from the engine. It goes away after about 30 seconds. I know it has to do with the cold but it is going to get a lot lot colder! I always had a ticking noise at the same spot where this noise is coming from. You can here it when I hit the gas inside the cab and I don't know if these two are related. I don't really care about the ticking because I know these trucks do this but this sound seems to be coming from the exact same spot. Any information would be great and if I missed something please don't be shy to tell me! Thanks
Old 11-27-2008, 08:17 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site!

1) Do you have a thermostatic clutch fan or an electric fan? If thermostatic, this may be normal. With the engine cold, there is not much need for the fan, so it will free wheel. However, at least on mine, the fan will roar like a tornado for a few seconds, then quiet down. As far as the surging noise, maybe an indicator that the clutch has problems. One quick check is to inspect it for any leakage, then grab hold of the fan (ENGINE OFF!) and try to wobble it fore and aft. If there's any movement - a good sign that the clutch needs replacement.

2) You may have a slight exhaust leak that seals off as things heat up. This will be more noticeable in cold weather. In my case, had a hairline crack in the exhaust manifold.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your findings. Always good to hear feedback to add to our vast knowledge-base :-)

Quick Reply: Cooling fan problems