Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Coolent Temperature Issues? Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Coolent Temperature Issues? Help please!

So I went out to test my truck after some overtemp issues that I "thought" got resolved to make sure everything was good. I threw 2000lbs of batteries in the bed and headed up Butterfield canyon in utah... Don't know if there are any locals on this site but thats where i was. Its a very steep switchback mountinous road that you can only go about 15mph up. Well temps were great but it got up to about 226F and hovered there by time i got to the top. Readings were taken from my EDGE CS chip once I turned around and let it idle for about a 40 seconds the temp dropped to 206 before i put it in drive headed back down.

Is that to hot?

And before anyone asks I have EFans on my truck its a custom setup dual speed 3000cfm fans (2 16inch fans) 180f kicks on low speed 200f High speed. I dont have a shroud because i built this setup myself but on high i can stand next to the wheel wells and feel hot air blowing out of there like enough to blow a chicks top off (slightly exaggerated) but LOTs of air moving. Also i just replaced the thermostat and the oil is golden and the exhaust smells normal just fyi

also I'm planning on going camping soon and towing my 8500lb trailer which ive done many times before but dont know if this is going to be a problem.... could the radidator be clogged? only seems to heat up and low speeds on the freeway 55-85 it stays 195-200f
Old 06-17-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So you put 1 ton of batteries in a half ton truck ?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My question is where in the hell did he get 2k pounds of batteries
Old 06-17-2014, 11:23 PM

Haha should have been more specific. Still got my weight slip from the scrap yard. 8029lbs gross 6650lbs net so 1379lbs of batteries. I have airbags as well. In my mind that much weight shouldn't make my temp get that high.... If i pull my trailer wouldnt that be even more of a load on my motor?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by tritonbullet
My question is where in the hell did he get 2k pounds of batteries
....some guy was was throwing away all his golf kart batteries and i told him id take em for free.... scrap yard gave me 260 bucks for em...
Old 06-17-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like that temp might be too high. I just had my ecoboost in last week because it was bucking under load - I was towing our camper. Dealer told me it was because one head got to 215 degrees. They said it needs to be at 212, Talked me into a $200 coolant flush. I checked the owners manual later and it recommends 100k miles. After the coolant flush the tech found out it was skipping/shuddering - which was the original issue. Said it needed a coil pack and plug. 4 hours later I finally left the dealership. Lost a day of my vacation because of it. On the way home from vacation, the truck still had the issue. I certainly feel I was scammed. Bottom line, I'd be concerned about the temp issue. If 3 degrees really is that much of an issue, I'd definitle be leary of the 20+ degrees you're talking about. Then again, the dealer may have just proven that there really is one born every minute...
Old 06-18-2014, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Woody59
Sounds to me like that temp might be too high. I just had my ecoboost in last week because it was bucking under load - I was towing our camper. Dealer told me it was because one head got to 215 degrees. They said it needs to be at 212, Talked me into a $200 coolant flush. I checked the owners manual later and it recommends 100k miles. After the coolant flush the tech found out it was skipping/shuddering - which was the original issue. Said it needed a coil pack and plug. 4 hours later I finally left the dealership. Lost a day of my vacation because of it. On the way home from vacation, the truck still had the issue. I certainly feel I was scammed. Bottom line, I'd be concerned about the temp issue. If 3 degrees really is that much of an issue, I'd definitle be leary of the 20+ degrees you're talking about. Then again, the dealer may have just proven that there really is one born every minute...
Hmmm ya I really would be curious what its supposed to be at... the Engine temp never went above 200 but i was just monitering the coolent temp tranny temp got to 224. I only have 80k miles on it. it has new fluid but it wasn't flushed just added 1 gallon to it after i changed the thermostat. after googling this for a week i still havn't got any anwers. some people with 99 f150's said they had to take there radiator in cuz it was clogged but if that were the case it would overheat accross the board no matter what is hooked to the truck, idle or at speed.... I just would rather advoid the dealer at all costs expecially after what happend to you

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2014, 01:22 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Sounds too hot to me. I've read a few times guys running e fans pulling TT and running a little hot. It's hard to make an efan setup that performs as good as a clutch fan when towing. A shroud creates a vortex affect and not having one is most likely the problem.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by sdmartin65
Sounds too hot to me. I've read a few times guys running e fans pulling TT and running a little hot. It's hard to make an efan setup that performs as good as a clutch fan when towing. A shroud creates a vortex affect and not having one is most likely the problem.
I think your right... I was reading on the GMC 1500 forums because they come stock with electric fans from the factory and some of thoes people have put higher CFM fans in there trucks because of cooling issues. I'm going to put my old mechanical fan and shroud back on try that same canyon this weekend. If it works i know I'm not moving enough air, if it doesn't I have bigger problems... good place to start though thanks for the tip.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Trent W
Hmmm ya I really would be curious what its supposed to be at... the Engine temp never went above 200 but i was just monitering the coolent temp tranny temp got to 224. I only have 80k miles on it. it has new fluid but it wasn't flushed just added 1 gallon to it after i changed the thermostat. after googling this for a week i still havn't got any anwers. some people with 99 f150's said they had to take there radiator in cuz it was clogged but if that were the case it would overheat accross the board no matter what is hooked to the truck, idle or at speed.... I just would rather advoid the dealer at all costs expecially after what happend to you
200 for the engine is not that bad. The stock fan clutch is not fully engaged until the air is over 200.

224 for the tranny seems high. Do you have a cooler? If so there is a thermostat like device inline make sure it's working. I.e. Is the cooler hot/warm ?

Quick Reply: Coolent Temperature Issues? Help please!